Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
bteichner
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brian Teichner

Detailed Backup Retention Report

Post by bteichner »

I'm trying to find a report in Veeam ONE that will give me detailed information on backup jobs that includes:
- Available restore points for VMs (or jobs)
- Backup expiration dates

We need to be able to provided detailed reports for what backups we have stored, when they were taken, and when they will expire. We just started using Veeam ONE, and I wasn't able to find any reports that show this.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Detailed Backup Retention Report

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Brian,

1. Take a look at Protected VMs report that does have total number of restore points available.
2. Do you want to see the date when the closest restore point will be deleted? Not sure I fully understand this scenario, since restore points are deleted every job run (reversed incremental backup mode) or according to the full backup schedule and configure retention policy (forward incremental backup mode).

Thanks!
bteichner
Enthusiast

Post by bteichner »

Hi Vitaliy,
Thanks for the response. The Protected VM report is a good starting point, but I'm looking for more detailed information on the backed up VMs. I think the issue I'm running into is with the backup copy jobs. I have the retention set for weekly, monthly, yearly, but I can't find a report that will tell me how many restore points are available for a VM, when the backup was taken, and when the restore point will expire based on the retention set in the backup copy job. Hopefully this helps clarify what I'm looking for.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for clarification, now I understand what backup expiration you're referring to. I think it would be a good idea to make a report that would display information on the backup GFS chains. Meanwhile, protected VMs report or report about backup copy jobs should give you info about transferred restore points and stored ones. Thanks for the feedback once again!
bteichner
Enthusiast

Post by bteichner »

Sorry, I'm still very new to Veeam One. I think a report on the backup GFS chain is exactly what we need. Is there a pre-built report for this? And if not, how can I go about setting this up. Thanks for the help.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There is no pre-build report like that, but if you need a report for backups created by backup copy jobs using GFS or regular retention policy, then I believe it shouldn't be hard for us to add it in the next updates. BTW, what about regular backups? The more I think about this report, the more ideas I have on how to show all jobs/backup files there.

Do you have any special requirements for this report? Do you want to see the expiration date, N. of restore points, VMs, what else?
bteichner
Enthusiast

Post by bteichner »

That would be great. I think the most important one for me would be the expiration date. It would be great to have the ability to run a report on VMs to see how many copies of the backup there are and how long they will be available, what backup policy was applied, and when the backup was taken. This would be good to have for regular backups as well. Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, this makes sense, the only limitation I foresee now is that if you change the backup policy in the VBR itself, the printed copy of this report would automatically become "outdated". :)
bteichner
Enthusiast

Post by bteichner »

Yep, not a problem. Looking forward to an update on this.

Thanks
v33@m3r
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mr Veeam McVeeamerson

Post by v33@m3r »

Hi There,

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but does anyone know if there is any new report functionality since this thread was going back in November? (Either via a report in Veeam B&R, VeeamONE, or Enterprise Managerr)
I'm looking for some good visibility on the backup GFS chain, just like the previous posters last year.

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi, usually improvements like this happen on the major releases rather than minor ones. So let`s wait at least until v9.
Thanks!
v33@m3r
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mr Veeam McVeeamerson

Post by v33@m3r »

ok fair enough thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

No problem. Once you have a question, don`t hesitate asking.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

Shestakov wrote: Apr 26, 2015 7:41 pm Hi, usually improvements like this happen on the major releases rather than minor ones. So let`s wait at least until v9.
Thanks!
Here we are in v12 and I still don't see a report that will list the retention points for a given backup job. The "Backups on Repository" report at least lists the Servers on a repo and how many point each of them has, but I'm struggling to find some way to list all available points for a job.
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 613 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello Rubin,
Can you perhaps give a try the report called https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/r ... ml?ver=120 ? Let me dig deep to see if I can produce what you are looking for.

Thanks for the comment, and for using Veeam ONE!
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

@jorgedlcruz

That's closer to giving me what I'm looking for, but it's still missing some information that I'd like to see. For one thing, I'd like to know if a given restore point is a Full or Incremental point, and the report only tells me the mode that the job ran as ("Forward Incremental"), but not what that individual point is. I'd also like to know how much space is being consumed by each point but, although there is a field called "Actual Total Backup Size, GB" that sounds like it should contain that information, but that field is either full of "N/A" (when the backup points aren't broken out by server) or doesn't actually show the size of the backup point (it may be trying to show the amount of backed up data, but that doesn't work either when it shows 1385GB, the Full is 2.3TB, and the Incremental is 6.9GB).