Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Enden
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam 7 not using SMB networks to restore to SMB cluster

Post by Enden »

Hi,

I'm evaluating Veeam backup in a new private cloud setup. I'm all Microsoft, using a storage spaces cluster with a scale out file server combined with a hyper-v cluster. I have a single physical Veeam server with four 1 GBe nics. One is LAN and the three remaining is private SMB3. My infrastructure setup is connected to both hyper-v and SMB cluster. Backups are working as expected. The Veeam server is configured as a off host proxy and performs backups with redirection to SMB snapshots and using the SMB nics. However restores only use the LAN nic and traffic is directed via a hyper-v node.

Is it possible to redirect restore data directly to the SMB cluster and thus using the three SMB nics? That would really improve restore capabilities and might be a deal maker :-)
Enden
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Veeam 7 not using SMB networks to restore to SMB cluster

Post by Enden »

Sorry if it's to soon to bump this thread, but I would really like to get input on this as I'm on a scheduel to deliver.

I'll be happy to deliver more information if necessary. Just point out what you need :-)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam 7 not using SMB networks to restore to SMB cluster

Post by Gostev »

Hi, you should use VM Files restore option to restore VM files directly to the SMB cluster share. Thanks!