Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
ashleyw
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ashley Watson

Sync option missing in VeeamOne v8

Post by ashleyw »

Hi,
When we make changes to the categorisation tool, we used to have an option on Veeam One v7 to be able to force a sync of the data back to vCentre.
I no longer see this option in the VeeamOne menu - has it been removed?
How do we force a sync of the data bank to the vSphere servers and how do we see the status or sync process?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Sync option missing in VeeamOne v8

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Ashley,
ashleyw wrote:I no longer see this option in the VeeamOne menu - has it been removed?
No, it has not. The option is still there. We`ve just change the options` structure a bit.
You can synchronize categorization data stored in the Veeam ONE database with custom attributes or tags on the vCenter Server side. To do so, you need to change Veeam ONE Business View configuration options to enable updates of custom attributes or tags. If updates of custom attributes or tags is enabled, every time when a data collection is performed, Veeam ONE will not only gather data from the vCenter Server, but will also write category values from the Veeam ONE database to the vCenter Server.
You can also check the categorization status or export it to exclel.
Thanks.
ashleyw
Service Provider

Post by ashleyw »

thanks. I think we are talking crossed lines here. In the previous edition there was an option to force the sync back of category/group data to the custom attribute columns on the vsphere hosts themselves, and there was a process which ran every 24 hours by default to force the sync of the data (which could be triggered on demand). Those options are now missing.
I do not have a Veeam One v7 installation any more to compare, but it looks like the feature I'm referring to was the "session history" option - which is visible on this screen shot;
http://www.veeam.com/blog/veeam-busines ... eased.html
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

This option was not removed. If you want to force the sync back of custom attributes and write data to the vSphere hosts, you need to select "use custom attributes to categorize objects" (third radio button) in the Configuration -> Options tab.
ashleyw
Service Provider

Post by ashleyw »

thanks - here is a screenshot of the option setting I'm using. There is option showing the sync status that I can see. The option for "session history" was definitely there on the v7 release as we used to use it all the time to force a sync of the data back to the attributes on the VM so that we could interrogate those vSphere attributes through other automation scripting.
To put this into context, we were quite happily running v7 and then attempted an in place upgrade to v8. This was crashing out and I had a support ticket open with Veeam. The only way I could get the thing working was to uninstall VeeamOne, then Reinstall VeeamOne but pointing it to the existing database (to preserve all our configurable).
So I'm confused as to how to proceed.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ashleyw wrote:The option for "session history" was definitely there on the v7 release as we used to use it all the time to force a sync of the data back to the attributes on the VM so that we could interrogate those vSphere attributes through other automation scripting.
Veeam ONE Business View and Veeam ONE Reporter now have the same engine, so if you want to force categorization and run the job, you need to navigate to Veeam ONE Reporter and start the collection job. This will write all data to custom attributes in your vSphere infrastructure.

Let me know if that helps!
ashleyw
Service Provider

Post by ashleyw » 1 person likes this post

great. That is perfect and explains everything. I can now see the sync option on the Reporter interface. thanks again.