Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Nueke2398
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joshua Newcombe

Backup and Replication v8 Tape Jobs

Post by Nueke2398 »

Good morning all. Something we have noticed since upgrading to v8 of Veeam Backup and Replication is a minor but annoying issue with tape jobs. Just to give you some background on what was going on, we attempted to run an archive of a particular job due to a software upgrade on a server we are performing this weekend. When we went to run the tape job, it would attempt to create a synthetic full as opposed to just running the reverse incremental we had it originally set to in v7. I started the archive backup last night at 430PM before I left work. Now normally the backup should only take 1 hour at the most and 30 minutes average. I came in this morning and noticed it was still running and had been for over 15 hours, being stuck at 22%. Noticing that we started to do some troubleshooting and didn't really see anything out of the norm. During the troubleshooting process it didn't really dawn on us that we had made a clone of the original job and just renamed it to include archive and created a new media pool for it. That being said if we had just created a new job all together we would have caught on right away to what the issue was. In the end we ended up creating a new test job, which ran with no issues. Once we saw that, we realized that the upgrade had changed the way the original tape backups ran, meaning changing it to a synthetic full.

The way that we fixed it was to go into each tape job created in v7, click edit, backup files, remove the original backup file associated with the tape job, re-add the same job and click latest and then finish. Now the job is running as it has in the past with no issues.

I hope this isn't a repeat of a previous, as I did not see any mention of it since the release of v8. If anyone has any other thoughts or insights, feel free to chime in. Have a great day all. :D
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup and Replication v8 Tape Jobs

Post by veremin »

Please, see follow the procedure outlined in the KB article mentioned here; should solve the issue. Thanks.
Nueke2398
Novice

Post by Nueke2398 »

No, I'm sorry. The prescribed KB did not solve the issue as intended. We are using direct SAN access for the transport mode, so we shouldn't be seeing 99% bottleneck for the network. My case number with Veeam is 00686459. This is becoming increasingly frustrating, to the point we are going to roll back to v7.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Joshua, if I'm not mistaken in the original post you're talking about usage of tape job, right? If so, how that situation is related to transport mode used by backup job or bottleneck statistics reported by it? Thanks.
Nueke2398
Novice

Post by Nueke2398 »

That's why I was wondering why you merged my original post with this one. We didn't start noticing the bottleneck until this weekend when our tape jobs ran. The original post was us noticing the synthetic backups being ran, which was odd in itself, but not related to the bottleneck issue we are seeing now, as far as I can tell.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I thought you were talking about backup to tape job trying to create synthesized full backup (even though the source job uses reversed incremental mode), and, thus, I've merged your post to the topic discussing similar issue.

I've unmerged it already. But can you clarify what is the exact issue, as it's not that clear from the posts provided.

Thanks.
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Post by stuartmacgreen » 1 person likes this post

Case 00686527 logged for backup to tape jobs. Bottleneck at Network and always at 20MB/s since upgrading to Veeam 8 last Thursday.
This is painfully slow.
Awaiting a response but in meantime, I chanced and saw and implemented a new registry key.
Restarted services and now backup to tape jobs 40-50MB/s

Link to blog post re similar issue with slowness.
http://www.v-strange.de/index.php/2-unc ... o-veeam-v8
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Stuart,

Thank you for updating this thread with a workaround. By the way, have you checked the performance in the regular file to tape job? Is it the same?
Nueke2398
Novice

Post by Nueke2398 »

Stuart, Thanks for the update as well. I just got a response back on my case and it's what you said, an encryption issue. All I had to do was create a new DWORD in the registry to turn encryption off and now my jobs are flying. Thanks again.