Good morning all. Something we have noticed since upgrading to v8 of Veeam Backup and Replication is a minor but annoying issue with tape jobs. Just to give you some background on what was going on, we attempted to run an archive of a particular job due to a software upgrade on a server we are performing this weekend. When we went to run the tape job, it would attempt to create a synthetic full as opposed to just running the reverse incremental we had it originally set to in v7. I started the archive backup last night at 430PM before I left work. Now normally the backup should only take 1 hour at the most and 30 minutes average. I came in this morning and noticed it was still running and had been for over 15 hours, being stuck at 22%. Noticing that we started to do some troubleshooting and didn't really see anything out of the norm. During the troubleshooting process it didn't really dawn on us that we had made a clone of the original job and just renamed it to include archive and created a new media pool for it. That being said if we had just created a new job all together we would have caught on right away to what the issue was. In the end we ended up creating a new test job, which ran with no issues. Once we saw that, we realized that the upgrade had changed the way the original tape backups ran, meaning changing it to a synthetic full.
The way that we fixed it was to go into each tape job created in v7, click edit, backup files, remove the original backup file associated with the tape job, re-add the same job and click latest and then finish. Now the job is running as it has in the past with no issues.
I hope this isn't a repeat of a previous, as I did not see any mention of it since the release of v8. If anyone has any other thoughts or insights, feel free to chime in. Have a great day all.