Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Veeam Endpoint Backup Free

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Evan,

There is going to be the possibility to use some of our restore tools. However, please note (as mentioned already a few times), this solution is for endpoints only. It will work on servers running 2008 or higher, but we have not tested or verified clusters or any other HA solution! So we cannot guarantee that it will work at all!

Mike
blodsbror
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Evan Williams

Post by blodsbror »

Right, thanks for the answers. And it's clear now. But I just wanted to double check, before spending more time looking into it as a possible option..
KevinBeaumont
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Beaumont

Post by KevinBeaumont »

Here's a question. If you backup, say, a desktop with this and get a VBK file - can you restore that in VMware with Veeam as a VM? You know, assuming you can install VMtools and get the actual VM working properly afterwards.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Evan,

If (for whatever reason) you still want to continue with this tool, you might want to think about some possibilities. Think about volume backups (instead of complete "physical clustered server") that holds the exchange database. We leverage VSS technology so...

there are possibilities, but you know, it is your exchange server, and there is the support...

Mike
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

KevinBeaumont wrote:Here's a question. If you backup, say, a desktop with this and get a VBK file - can you restore that in VMware with Veeam as a VM? You know, assuming you can install VMtools and get the actual VM working properly afterwards.
Kevin,

It is NOT intended as a P2V tool. However, you do indeed will have a VBK file and a recovery media. (I'll talk about that in the webinar on Thursday). That means it is possible, and that the only possible issue is going to be the drivers. The virtual drivers I do not foresee as an issue, but "leftover" physical drivers can be an issue depending on the case and the hardware from where the server came.

Feel free to try these things out when you have the beta and let us know if you encounter issues through our forums. We certainly will look at it

Thanks

Mike
KevinBeaumont
Influencer
Full Name: Kevin Beaumont

Post by KevinBeaumont »

Thanks Mike. Yeah, we will probably test with this (maybe not immediately though). I understand (and support) the view this shouldn't be sold as a P2V tool - I'm just curious for playing purposes. The reality is we here have some crap old physical PCs which are important, which could do with any kind of backup until they get replaced properly.
JimmyO
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Post by JimmyO »

A question regarding Endpoint Protection - will there be OS integration to support "previous versions" in windows?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jimmy,

Can you please clarify what integration you're referring to?

Thanks!
JimmyO
Enthusiast

Post by JimmyO »

Hi Vitaliy,

I´m referring to when you right-click a file and choose properities -previous versions (on the client) to be able to browse or restore backups of the file directly from windows explorer.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Jimmy, in EndPoint backup there is an option to backup the entire Guest OS image. If VSS snapshots (where previous versions are stored) are present during backup process, then after entire computer, or volume restore you should be able to right-click on the file and restore previous versions of it as well.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

JimmyO wrote:right-click a file and choose properities -previous versions (on the client) to be able to browse or restore backups of the file directly from windows explorer.
These are not backups actually, but rather internal Windows VSS snapshots.
bulletlynn
Service Provider
Full Name: Nick Lynn

Post by bulletlynn » 1 person likes this post

Great tool so far!

One thing that might be interesting to add would be settings to limit Network Traffic. The scenario where you might be backing up a physical across the WAN.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Nick, thanks for the feedback! Do you refer to something similar that we have in Veeam B&R product? Like throttling rules? What is your target location over the WAN? Windows box? CIFS share?
bulletlynn
Service Provider
Full Name: Nick Lynn

Post by bulletlynn »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Nick, thanks for the feedback! Do you refer to something similar that we have in Veeam B&R product? Like throttling rules? What is your target location over the WAN? Windows box? CIFS share?
Yes, just like what is in Veeam B&R. Target location could be Veeam repository or CIFS share.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Nick,
Endpoint is designed for a local backups. However, the plan for the future is to allow Endpoint to use VBR as a repository, so then you could use the backup copy jobs to send backups over WAN; once it is done the VBR throttling rules would be a solution.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Nick, for CIFS shares you would need "proxying" servers in order to use throttling rules. Seems like you're looking for the case described by Dmitry above.
dannythake
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Danny Thake

Post by dannythake » 2 people like this post

No complaints here - Just a quick well done for building this tool. Excellent work Veeam
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

A quick question regarding the support; whom would we contact if we can't install VEB and because of that can't access the contact form?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Regnor,
Please, feel free to create a new topic with your issue and if possible, include the log files from C:\ProgramData\Veeam (you can send me a download link directly via PM).
Temp1ar
Lurker
Full Name: Dmitry

Post by Temp1ar »

What can it be, if i can not download Veeam Backup Free Edition from all download links in my e-mail. I got it after registration.

Primary download and alternative download just shows me Veeam home page (infinite loop error in Chrome)

Are there any other variant to download demo. I really want to test that software at work.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Dmitry, are you logged in to the Veeam website (before trying to open the link with registration)?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Dmitry,
Also there is an available workaround you may try if you still experience this issue. Thank you.
hyvokar
Veteran
Liked: 29 times

Post by hyvokar »

dellock6 wrote:Dima,
I think the request for "Cloud Connect support" as it's asked, means more the possibility to register a service provider directly into VEB and send backups directly over the internet to a Cloud Repository.
Hi!

This would be a much needed feature for a smaller customers. Any idea if this will be implemented?
Bed?! Beds for sleepy people! Lets get a kebab and go to a disco!
MS MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It's still on our radar, cannot share any ETAs yet.