Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Backup copy jobs offsite

Post by ashman70 »

One of my customers is getting their MPLS upgraded to 10MB between sites and once this is complete, I would like to start running backup copy jobs to a remote repository. They only have the basic Backup and Replication license so no WAN accelerators or anything, will those be needed? How feasible is it to do this? Their largest VM's are 300GB and 275GB. I am already backing up, replicating and performing backup copy jobs onsite, I just want to have the data offsite as well if possible.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup copy jobs offsite

Post by Shestakov »

Hello.
In my opinion, it worth to try. Even without WAN, those VMs will be compressed and deduplicated, so ultimate size of data to be transmitted will be much less than 300 or 275GB.
Also you can implement seeding and transfer over WAN only incrementals.
I would try to backup offsite to see how it works in practice. By the way, you can try free trial version of VBR with all features included to see how beneficial WAN accelerator is.
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What are your RPO intervals? How many VMs are you going to store in the offsite location? In any case, with a connection link like this, I would definitely recommend using WAN accelerators. Not only it will allow you to resume your backup copy jobs during network failure, but you will also be able to transfer less data over the WAN.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Post by ashman70 »

Thanks Vitally, this is a new venture and since I don't know what to expect I can't tell you what my RPO is, I can tell you what I'd like it to be, but that may not be realistic. If I am going to trial the WAN accelerator, I'll have to have Veeam installed at my offsite location as well won't I?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In the offsite location you will only need WAN accelerator and repository. Veeam backup installed in the main site will be managing backup copy jobs.

Check out this recorded webinar for more info > http://www.veeam.com/videos/backup-copy ... -2508.html