Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Question about backup and replication jobs

Post by ashman70 »

What is the designed expected behaviour for the following scenario.

I have a replication job that runs every half hour for a VM, I also have a backup job for this VM that runs once a day, it is configured as reverse incremental and does a full backup every Saturday night. What will happen when the backup job is running and the replication job tries to run? The backup job for this VM can take 5-6hrs, so will the replication job simply wait until the backup job is finished before it can run?

Also, I have a Backup Exec job that runs to tape on the same host that runs Veeam and this job backs up my exchange mailbox store. I also have a replication job for the exchange server that runs every two hours. Will these two jobs conflict and cause problems? Should I not backup exchange to tape any longer? Or should I remove the replication job from running during the time the backup to tape job is running?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Question about backup and replication jobs

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ashman70 wrote:What will happen when the backup job is running and the replication job tries to run? The backup job for this VM can take 5-6hrs, so will the replication job simply wait until the backup job is finished before it can run?
Yes, it will wait. See this topic for further reading > Replication and backups
Also, I have a Backup Exec job that runs to tape on the same host that runs Veeam and this job backs up my exchange mailbox store. I also have a replication job for the exchange server that runs every two hours. Will these two jobs conflict and cause problems? Should I not backup exchange to tape any longer? Or should I remove the replication job from running during the time the backup to tape job is running?
Why don't you use Veeam backup to tape job instead? I'm not aware how your BE job retrieves data, but I believe there should not be any issues.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Post by ashman70 »

I am considering Veeam backup to tape jobs but I am doing at lot with Veeam at this client at the moment and will likely come back to it shortly. Do the backup to tape jobs just copy the backup files to tape?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you can either send Veeam backups or any other file to tape device. Please review our on-line help center > Archiving Data to Tape
JohnGG
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John G

[MERGED] : Replicating and Backups

Post by JohnGG »

Gday again, i just wanted to shoot a quick question.
im currently doing replications every night, i have also started doing backups to a USB drive a well so we can take it off site.

Now does replicating and backup jobs create any issues, am i breaking a backup chain by replication and vice versa?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

No issues. Should the jobs overlap, job started later will wait till the job started earlier finishes. Thanks.
aevans@ricoh.com.au
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Evans

[MERGED] : Replicating and Backing up same VM's

Post by aevans@ricoh.com.au »

Hi,

Currently we only use Veeam to replicate our entire production environment from our main datacenter to a secondary DR datacenter keeping 5 replicas.
We are now looking at also using Veeam for our normal day to day and archival backups. We are looking at setting up our backups to go to a dedup appliance like HP StoreOnce or similar.

So my question is does anyone else do something similar? How well does Veeam handle this type of situation, if a backup and replication job is run at the same time is the job going to fail due to conflicts etc.

Basically our architecture would be like below.
Replicate production VM's from NetApp in primary datacenter to Compellent in secondary datacenter
Backup VM's from NetApp in primary datacenter to HP StoreOnce in primary datacenter then flush off daily or weekly to tape (waiting on business decision)

I know Veeam will handle the two targets fine, more concerned about the conflicts as our backup window is already quite large so would be hard to schedule jobs so they always finish and don't conflict.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Andrew,

I can confirm that the scenario you've described is absolutely possible and should not result in any issues whatsoever. The job started later will be patiently waiting, causing no problems.

Thanks.