Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Notifications in V8

Post by ashman70 »

I have noticed now there are granular notification settings in V8, so for example if on a replication job I don't want to be notified of successful jobs, but only warnings and failures, I can deselect 'successful' from the list. However I still want to be notified of successful backup jobs. I have noticed that if the global notification setting has all the boxes ticked, yet in a replication job I deselect successful, I still get notified when the replication job is successful. Is this a bug, or am I missing something? I have replication jobs running every half hour to hour, I don't need to know they have completed successfully only when there is a problem, I suspect this is the reason for the granular options.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Notifications in V8

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
I see your use case, thanks for the clear explanation.

If you uncheck Notify on success checkbox under Use custom notification settings specified below, notifications should not be sent.
I`ll contact our QA team to verify if it`s a bug or not.
Could you, please, localize the issue: do you have this behaviour for all jobs/ all replication jobs/ a particular replication job?

Thanks for the heads up!
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

I currently have two replication jobs running, within each job I have unchecked 'successful' and left all the other notifications checked. In the global notification settings, all boxes are checked. I am currently getting notifications for the successful replication jobs. So it is only happening with the replication jobs as these are the only jobs where I have unchecked 'successful' within the job settings.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thank you for the information!
I`ll write back when I have the issue investigated.
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

Thanks, all other notifications for backup jobs and backup copy jobs are working as expected.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I`ve done some testing and confirmed the issue with replication jobs notifications.
However, unlike you described, backup jobs and backup copy jobs have the same behavior.

Could you please double-check the scenario with Global notifications options: Notify on success / warning / failure and Backup/Backup copy job notifications options: Notify on warning / failure and see if you have the notification when job is successful? That will be appreciated, because for us all jobs have the same behavior.

Developers also lid some light on the notifications logic, from v8 some complexity was added to make notification options more efficient and flexible.
Initial assumption was: Global notification options are for general administration to receive information about all jobs working, while Job notifications are for particular admins with different email addresses. In a case when "Global recipient email address" = "Job recipient email address" just one notification is to be sent. But currently global rules overwrite job rules, hence you receive the notification you described. Thanks to your mention the inaccuracy is found and will be corrected.

Thanks again for bringing the issue!
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

It is not clear to be what you are asking me to do here, so please clarify if you just want me to check settings or change something?

"Could you please double-check the scenario with Global notifications options: Notify on success / warning / failure and Backup/Backup copy job notifications options: Notify on warning / failure and see if you have the notification when job is successful? That will be appreciated, because for us all jobs have the same behavior."
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

It`s pretty much what you did. I was asking you to run a backup and/or backup copy jobs with the same notification settings you have in the replication job you described.
Because you said:
ashman70 wrote:...all other notifications for backup jobs and backup copy jobs are working as expected.
I assumed you said that behavior of replication jobs and backup jobs, regarding notifications is different.
Is it correct? Thanks!
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

Oh I see, you want me change the notification settings for a regular backup job to be the same as the replication job, got it. I'll do that and let you know.
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

Ok so this is interesting, I changed the notification settings on one of the backup job from Use Global notification settings to Use custom notification settings specified below, and unchecked only 'Notify on success' I then ran the backup job and received a notification email on the successful completion of the job.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I thought you already did it, since you wrote that you had the issue only with replication jobs while backup and backup copy jobs were fine.
If it`s not correct, no testing is needed.
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

I always want to be notified for backup and backup copy jobs of successful completion or errors, so I never change those settings. When I setup replication jobs that run very half hour or every couple of hours, I don't need to get an email every time its successful, so I changed the settings to turn this feature off for successful jobs, and found the irregularity. As requested, I did the same for one of my backup jobs and turned off the notification for successful completion, but still got the notification. I had not done this until now, when I understood what it was you were asking me to do.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Now everything is clear :)
Once again thanks for the feedback and additional testing.
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

Does it appear to be a bug then? Is it likely something that will be addressed in a hot fix or patch?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Yes, it`s a bug and will be fixed in future updates.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Post by pufferdude »

I found this thread after experiencing the issue (bug) where turning off the "successful" notification on a replication job but leaving the other notifications checked does not work... I still get the successful emails. Is there an ETA on this fix?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Jim,
It`s in the list of bugs to be fixed in the next release, patch2.
Joker24-7
Novice
Liked: never

Post by Joker24-7 »

Hi,

i´ve read the Release Notes from Patch 2 and i dont find ther anything about notification. Is this planed for Patch 3 ? and when we could expect the patch about ?

Kind regards

Christoph
Zamzi
Lurker
Full Name: Glyn Chudleigh

Post by Zamzi »

This bug is still in Patch 2 just tested it with a replication job.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Glyn, Christoph,

The change in the notification logic has been postponed to the next releases.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

This is really disappointing. It was (believe it or not) the primary fix/feature I was waiting for in patch 2. This bug might not affect data integrity and thus seem minor to Veeam, but it's a big PITA for those of us that have multiple jobs that run hourly and we only want to be notified when there is a warning/failure. Now I guess the best timeframe I can hope for is the fall?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello Jim,
There is a workaround I can suggest. Your goal can be achieved by use of Veeam ONE. You can disable global notifications in VBR and enable related alarm notifications in Veeam One. For instance set Replication Job State alarm to notify you about warning and error only and Backup Job State/ Backup Copy Job State/etc. to notify you in any case.
Or you can check VBR global notifications in only for Warnings and Errors and set Veeam One notifications for desired types of jobs to send you notification in a case of success as well.
Not that elegant solution, but it will work.
Discussed improvement is still to be implemented in next VBR releases though. Thanks!
reiso22
Influencer

Post by reiso22 »

Hello,
Another workaround which seems to work for me:
- disable "On Success" in global settings
- configure backup jobs with custom notification "Notify on success"
- configure replication jobs using global notification
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for your input, reiso22.
It should also work, however just like in the workaround I described above it will take significant effort if there are lots of jobs.
Another workaround is to make mail server filter notifications containing "jobname" and "success".
james411
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by james411 »

So do we have to wait for v9 for this little fix? I just updated to v8 U3 and am having the same problem. Thanks!
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Don't hold your breath. They seem to have no intention of fixing this. Last I heard the "fix" had been shelved because they intend to completely re-architect the notification system. So we wait. And wait.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

As far as I know this should be addressed in v9.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Foggy is correct. That should be a part of the upcoming release.
@Pufferdude, since that is not a bug, but more a feature request, we don`t include it to the minor releases aka updates.
Thanks!
adrianIDC
Expert
Liked: 9 times

[MERGED] Notification only Backup Job

Post by adrianIDC »

Within my console Veeam B & R I have multiple Backup Job ( 5 [data , app , dc ... etc] )
He is currently configured to send an e- mail for each backup job ( succes , fail, warning ) .

I wish I could set it up to notify me ONLY by e -mail for a backup job (DATA).

Thanks team!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Notification only Backup Job

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

What if you uncheck email notifications for all, but one job?