haslund
VeeaMVP
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Planned Failover using Failover Plan [Feature Request]

Post by haslund » 2 people like this post

Hi all,

Loving the new failover plans in v8!
I understand the Failover Plan currently is to be used in an emergency situation.

However what if I need to perform a planned failover?
Why would I want to have to select VMs again, specificy failover order again etc. if I already specified all this in the Failover Plan?
A use case I even see Veeam specific in the documentation is recurring failover testing (weekly fx?) - http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... eason.html

Could we please have an option of performing a Planned Failover using a Failover Plan?
If yes, could we also have the option of scheduling this so it could run every X weeks or every X months?

Thank you for your kind consideration.
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
SBeel
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Stewart Beel

Re: Planned Failover using Failover Plan [Feature Request]

Post by SBeel »

That sounds like a great idea, I would like this feature too please.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If yes, could we also have the option of scheduling this so it could run every X weeks or every X months?
Can you elaborate on the use case of having automatic (regular) schedule for planned failover plan? Will it be used mostly for testing purpose or something? Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Rasmus - since cold failovers takes time (at least a few minutes for each VM, more depending on the amount of incremental changes since last replicatioN), we will not be able to meet the delay timeouts as specified in Failover Plan. Is that OK you think? I am thinking this may cause distributed applications to time out.
haslund
VeeaMVP

Post by haslund »

Can you elaborate on the use case of having automatic (regular) schedule for planned failover plan? Will it be used mostly for testing purpose or something? Thanks.
Having a secondary location to failover to is great, but there can be many pitfalls.
One such example could be when using re-ip. Can other machines still reach these failed over VMs.

Having the failover tested regularly you have the confidence that it will work when the day comes you really need it.
Same situation as why basically we are performing SureReplica testing but in this instance we also want to test connectivity to the machines from other machines.
haslund
VeeaMVP

Post by haslund »

Rasmus - since cold failovers takes time (at least a few minutes for each VM, more depending on the amount of incremental changes since last replicatioN), we will not be able to meet the delay timeouts as specified in Failover Plan. Is that OK you think? I am thinking this may cause distributed applications to time out.
Maybe I am misunderstanding something, but I thought failovers using a Failover Plan is always cold (production VM is already powered off before executing failover plan)?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I believe Anton was talking about planned/cold failover. During such failover source VMs are shutdown, then, backup server transfers changes that have occurred since the last replication cycle, and finally replicas get powered up. The step of transferring incremental changes might take some time, and, thus, isn't currently used by Failover Plans.

Thanks.
haslund
VeeaMVP

Post by haslund »

Well, as one customer told me:

"It does not make any sense to have to plan for doomsday and then not being able to test your plan.
Obviously I can select all the VMs manually, but why must I manually do something that I already told the machine how I want done?"

I guess it would make sense to have an option added to schedule a replication to run in advance of the planned failover?

A different approach is to simply add a scheduling option to the Failover Plan so it is not a "Planned Failover" where last changes are replicated.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

rhaslund wrote:A different approach is to simply add a scheduling option to the Failover Plan so it is not a "Planned Failover" where last changes are replicated.
This is exactly how Failover Plans work already, if you just go ahead and initiate failover using a Failover Plan. Last changes will not be replicated...
haslund
VeeaMVP

Post by haslund »

Gostev wrote: This is exactly how Failover Plans work already, if you just go ahead and initiate failover using a Failover Plan. Last changes will not be replicated...
But there is no scheduling option?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If that's what your customer really wants, then, let him schedule the following script via Windows Scheduler:

Code: Select all

Start-VBRFailoverPlan -FailoverPlan (Get-VBRFailoverPlan -Name "Name of your Failover Plan")
Thanks.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

After playing with failovers in these days, I'm with Rasmus that scheduling options would be nice.
And not just for failover plans, but also for the "planned failover", right now it can just be executed manually or scheduled via powershell, a scheduler option in the wizard would be nice. Say I want to run a planned failover at 4am, I simply prepare it and schedule it, but I don't have to stay awake to run it.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

Just to be clear - If I setup a Failover Plan and right click and start it - it will NOT touch my production VM's in any way correct?

Basically I want to test my plan, prior to Failover Plan I would just do a Restore > Failover to replica and I was able to test all my replicas without impacting my production VMs.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Correct, failover plan does not touch production VMs.
jveerd1
Service Provider
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Joeri van Eerd

Post by jveerd1 »

We are with Rasmus as well. Very often we have customers asking why a Planned Failover Plan is not possible, this is a general misunderstanding. There clearly is a need to logically group a set a replica's and perform a planned failover on them. Of course you could select a group of replica's manually (easy for 10 replica's, much harder with 100s), but that is not what customers want/expect.