Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sjim
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim

Backup creates new folder with _1 ?

Post by sjim »

I've seen a few post relating to this, but, none addressing the issue. For some reason Veeam is created a new folder with correct backup name but appending an "_1". This new folder contains the most current backup and original folder now isn't used. This just starting occurring and only happened twice now and as far as I know nothing has changed within the backup jobs. I seen no indication in the event viewer logs of anything. Any Help, greatly appreciated !
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup creates new folder with _1 ?

Post by foggy »

Jim, is there a chance that someone else could perform something that caused this behavior (re-created job, for example, or removed it from backups)? This should not occur in itself, without some user intervention. Anyway, you could contact technical support so they could review the log files to verify the reason.
souperstar
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris

Post by souperstar »

I have this too, just the one job. The other 5 jobs seem fine. I'm calling support also, not sure why it seemingly very suddenly and randomly started doing this.

EDIT: I checked my registry keys for ForceCreateMissingVBK and ForceDeleteBackupFiles, they are still set correctly.
EDIT2: By the way I'm on version 7.0.0.871. I haven't had the time to upgrade version 8 that's been out just a few weeks now.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Chris, if you provide your case ID here, we could track it for the possible solution in future. Thanks.
souperstar
Enthusiast

Post by souperstar » 1 person likes this post

Sure, just finished speaking with support: I was given case 00695406.

Their suggestion was to remove the backup from disk, which removed the _1 folder. Then, I manually deleted the folder that contained the backup files that were supposed to be overwritten by the ForceDeleteBackupFiles regkey (set to 3 in my case). Finally, I started the job again. It appears to have created the correct folder, but I'm wondering what will happen tonight when the jobs runs as scheduled, and what will happen tomorrow when we rotate backups disks.

FYI we rotate disks daily.

Thank you, I'll post here with my results.
souperstar
Enthusiast

Post by souperstar » 1 person likes this post

So far so good, it looks to have properly overwritten the previous backup chain. That's the expected and wanted behavior. I'll keep an eye out for our Monday night backups, and make sure they work as well. I didn't have a chance on Friday to double check before backups kicked off to make sure the job folder was already there, which would verify everything is working again.
souperstar
Enthusiast

Post by souperstar »

For what it's worth, our issue seems to be resolved using the method above. I have notified support so they can close the issue. I don't know why it happened but I'm pretty willing to accept that it's fixed for now. :D
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks for confirming, much appreciated!
Lyle
Influencer
Full Name: Lyle Ryan

Post by Lyle »

This is happening to me, running 7.0.0.771

Deleted all the backup files, deleted the <job name>_1 directory, and last night's backups recreated the _1 directory and put the first full backup in it.

Is this a known problem with solution? I'm not following the reference to the registry key = 3.

Thanks...Lyle
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Typically, deletion of backups and corresponding directory should solve the problem. As to the registry key, it's used for those cases when the role of target repository is assigned to rotated media. As it stands from its name, the regkey forcingly deletes previous backup files.

I'd recommend opening a ticket with our support team and letting them find the root cause of that behaviour.

Thanks.
souperstar
Enthusiast

Post by souperstar »

Lyle, it sounds like you didn't remove the backup records, just the files. I used the GUI of Veeam to remove the backups for the job that was causing me a problem, I only manually deleted anything that was a leftover.

Anyway, Eremin is spot on, you should open a support ticket. Reference mine if you want to help them reach a quicker resolution, that's why I posted it here.

I'll try and watch the thread for any updates you may have.
RSTEVENS
Lurker
Full Name: Robert Stevens

Post by RSTEVENS »

I am having the same issue. I had to rescan my Wednesday drive after the backup failed. the backup failed because it had the wrong assigned drive letter(human error) - every since the rescan, everyday on the backup creates a new folder with "_1" at the end of it. Can I move the backups from that folder into the original folder and delete the new folder. ?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Robert, no, that wouldn't work since the chain started anew. You could repoint the job to the original folder by using the backup mapping functionality, or remove the older folder and continue with the new one.
Mastakilla13
Novice

Post by Mastakilla13 »

Hi,

I have the same problem when using Veeam Agent for Windows 5.0.0.4301.
There is no such thing as "backup mapping functionality" or "removing a backup inside the app itself" or "some registry key" in Veeam Agent for Windows.
And simply removing the folder with backups and recreating the backup job doesn't help...

This problem already exists since 2013 I see. Wouldn't it be time to create an actual solution for it by now? ;)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

There's no "problem" that exists since 2013 - as mentioned above, new folder creation doesn't occur by itself, without any prior action causing it (like re-creating a job or removing backups from configuration, etc.). Otherwise, it would result in a many pages topic. Since you're basically using another product, please create a topic in a dedicated subforum and describe the behavior in more detail. Feel free to contact our technical support as well - they could take a closer look at your setup to verify the reason for this behavior. Thanks!