Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
vvilla
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Vicente Villagrasa

File filters

Post by vvilla »

Hello.

I'm testing the file filters to perform a "File level backup", to include only some extensions like *.doc, *.docx and some others, excluding everything else.

I perform this including that file extensions in the "Include masks" filters and leaving blank the "Exclude masks". I suppose that is logic to think that if I specify a list of extensions to include in the backup, all other extensions not listed are not included, but I was surprised when, after performing the first full backup, all kind of files were included, from temporal files to exe files, none of them listed in my "Include files masks".

Is there any error in my configuration or is it a bug?

Thanks in advance.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: File filters

Post by Dima P. »

Vicente,
Just to clarify, what was selected as a source - folder or entire volume in the file level backup mode? Were file masks added one by one, or all together? Thank you.
vvilla
Influencer

Post by vvilla »

An entire volume C:, because I don't trust that certain users to save files only on the desktop or documents folder as they should do...
vvilla
Influencer

Post by vvilla »

By the way, I've added masks one by one, *.doc, *.docx, *.PDF... and so on, clicking the Add button after every one of them.

Thanks in advance.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Vicente,
Got it! Yes, include option (Specify masks for file level backup) works only when you select the folder (or folders) and the backup is performed in the File level backup mode. When you are backing up in the volume level mode this option is ignored.
tfeerst
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Tony Feerst

Post by tfeerst »

This needs to be a feature request. Seems to me like a simply feature to be able to filter files when you select a volume mount point. I'm running into this with a secondary drive in laptops that are managed with Veeam service provider console backup policy job.