Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
fdizone
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matthew Shull

Help with Tandberg Quikstation tape emulation

Post by fdizone »

I just installed a Tandberg RDX Quikstation, and have 3 hard drives in the unit. I have the unit setup as "Tape Autoloader (One LTO-3 drive and eight slots)". All works well in Veeam except 1 major thing. Veeam does not move the tapes in and out of the drive as needed. Instead, when the "tape" is full, it just waits for a new tape to be inserted manually. I want Veeam to do this autmatically, just like my old Quantum Superloader did with tapes.

In Veeam, I have a Media Pool setup and all 3 tapes are shown. Shows the correct tape in the drive. But that's it. In the server's device manager, It shows the Tape Drive as HP LTO Ultrium 3, and the Medium Changer device as Unknown.

Can anyone help?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Help with Tandberg Quikstation tape emulation

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Matthew,
I wonder if the Eject media once the job finished option was enabled in the backup to tape job properties?
fdizone
Enthusiast

Post by fdizone »

d.popov wrote:Hi Matthew,
I wonder if the Eject media once the job finished option was enabled in the backup to tape job properties?
I did not because I assumed that would physically eject the tape, which I don't want. Does it not work that way?
fdizone
Enthusiast

Post by fdizone »

I set a new job to eject the tape as you suggested, and it did physically eject the tape from the machine. When the next job ran, it did properly move a tape in the media pool do the virtual drive. But obviously I cannot have the tapes physically eject.
fdizone
Enthusiast

Post by fdizone »

I found the setting I needed to make this work. In the QuikStation control panel, there is an option for "Autoloader Option - Continuously rotate catridges in the slots". This prevents the tapes from being physically ejected when Veeam ejects them. So I was able to set the eject option in the Veeam job and all seems to work well.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Thank you, Matthew, for coming back and sharing the resolution with community members; much appreciated.