Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
vvilla
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Vicente Villagrasa

Error opening backup

Post by vvilla »

Hello, I've installed EP in some computers with a file mode configuration, backing up some folders and applying masks to filter the files I need to backup.

All works fine, the backups are made to a hidden shared folder quickly and without problems, but when I try to open the backup files from my "administration computer" an error pops up when the "file browser" window opens saying "Some errors occurred. See log files for additional information".

I can open the backup from the original computer who made it thought the restore menu, but not double clicking any of the backup files from mine. I've administrator privileges over the share and the files and I've also assured that no backup is running in my local or remote computer. I've even shut down the computer that performed te backup.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Error opening backup

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Vicente,
but when I try to open the backup files from my "administration computer" an error pops up when the "file browser" window opens saying "Some errors occurred. See log files for additional information".
So you are trying to open backup files from another PC, right? Do you have the Endpoint Backup installed on that other machine?
evelio204
Lurker
Full Name: Evelio

Post by evelio204 »

Just wanted to say this is happening to me as well, I can open the backups with the recovery media and can restore them. I cannot open them on another computer that has Endpoint Backup.
vvilla
Influencer

Post by vvilla »

Yes, I've Endpoint Backup in the machine from where I'm trying to open the backup file in the network share. As I said, the backup files aren't blocked by a running backup and my user has admin privileges over the whole domain. The share has read/write permissions for all (it's a hidden one with $).

I've tried from various computers with the same error. I can only open the backups from the same computer who made them.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Got it. Thank you for the clarification – Ill check with QA on Monday and follow up shortly.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Guys, there might be a problem with credentials inside the Endpoint (it does not properly catch the widows creds for accessing the share). Instead try to manually browse the backup files via regular FLR wizard (you can launch it either from tray > restore or from the task bar shortcut C:\Program Files\Veeam\EndPoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.FLR.exe)
vvilla
Influencer

Post by vvilla »

Hello again, I've tried to use the FLR wizard as you suggested, but when I select the files from the network share, manually typing the path into the wizard, because it by default gets my own repository, the whole computer crashes with an ugly screen of death indicating an "NTFS SYSTEM ERROR" and restarts my computer.

The wizard can locate the backup over the network and I can select the restore point I need, but when mounting the backup, it crashes the computer.

I'm testing in a windows 8.1 x86 laptop, 3GBytes of RAM and and SSD with more than 90 GBytes of free space with a wired network connection (1Gbps).

Any idea?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Vicente,
Thank you for the heads up. Please open a support case thru the built in ticketing system – QA team might want to look at the logs.
vvilla
Influencer

Post by vvilla »

Thanks, I've openend a case. The number is 00724068.