Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
JeremyS132
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeremy Schwarzrock

Waiting on tape

Post by JeremyS132 »

I have a backup to tape job that is run by script to only grab the latest .vbk's from a certain set of servers. The issue that I am running into is that the job needs 8 tapes to complete. I have inserted 8 tapes. The job first deletes the tapes, and then assigns them to my tape pool. The job is currently stuck waiting on another tape. I can see from the Online tapes that 7 of them have been written to and tape 8 has 1.4 TB free out of 1.4. Any ideas why Veeam isn't using the tape that is available?

1/10/2015 7:23:16 PM :: Current tape is 003077
1/11/2015 12:40:32 AM :: Tape 003077 is full
1/11/2015 12:40:50 AM :: Insert a valid tape into the library, oldest retained tape: 003028, last written tape: 003077

We are running Veeam V7 and are running the latest patch.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Waiting on tape

Post by Dima P. »

Jeremy,
Did you add the said tapes to the media pool (thru the Media Pool > Tapes step) or its not taking the previously used media? Thank you.
JeremyS132
Novice

Post by JeremyS132 »

d.popov wrote:Jeremy,
Did you add the said tapes to the media pool (thru the Media Pool > Tapes step) or its not taking the previously used media? Thank you.
d.popov,

Thanks for your reply. The tapes are automatically added by the script that is called (not full script)

Code: Select all

"# Name of TAPE Job created in VEEAM. The job should backup the content specified in $linkpath
$JobName = "Tape Backups"

# Name of Media Pool were tapes should reside
$PoolName = "Tape Backups""

#Veeam Snap-in
Add-PSSnapin VeeamPSSnapin
# Erase Tape
Start-Sleep -s 5
Get-VBRTapeMedium | Erase-VBRTapeMedium  -Confirm:$false
# Inventory Tape
Get-VBRTapeMedium | Start-VBRTapeInventory
# Move online tape to pool
$tape = Get-VBRTapeMedium | Where-Object {$_.IsOnline -like "True"}
# Inventory Tape
Get-VBRTapeMedium | Start-VBRTapeInventory
# Start the VEEAM backup job created in VEEAM
Start-VBRJob -Job $JobName -FullBackup

I can confirm that all tapes are in the correct Media pool by going to Backup Infrastructure -> Tape -> Tape Drive -> Media -> Online

These are brand new tapes that have never been used with Veeam or anywhere as they are our year end tapes.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Got it. Can you check if replacing the inventory ( Start-VBRTapeInventory ) by catalogue ( Start-VBRTapeCatalog ) operation does the trick?
JeremyS132
Novice

Post by JeremyS132 »

d.popov wrote:Got it. Can you check if replacing the inventory ( Start-VBRTapeInventory ) by catalogue ( Start-VBRTapeCatalog ) operation does the trick?
I'll change this and see if it corrects the issue. I'll run the job now to see. Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I have a backup to tape job that is run by script to only grab the latest .vbk's from a certain set of servers.
Am I right in assuming that you're using hard-links for that purpose? Wouldn't it be easier to use synthesized full backup functionality, instead? Thanks.