Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
GarryG
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Garry Glendown

Handling of pre-used tapes needs improvment

Post by GarryG »

Hi,

after switching from Acronis to Veeam on a customer backup server, we tried to use the old tapes on Veeam, but couldn't add them to the media sets as Veeam as it reported CRC errors. After going through the problem with Tech Support, it turns out that Veeam can currently (at least in V8) only seem to add empty or Veeam tapes to the media sets, contrary to the docs, which state that unrecognized tapes ought to show up as "unknown".
I could get around the problem by using tape drive tools to erase the old tapes, after which the Inventory option moved the erased tapes to the empty media pool, allowing me to use them.

Veeam really ought to allow unrecognized or "crc error" tapes to be added as empty ... the "erase tape" solution costs me ~2 hours per tape, as I can't stop the function of the tape drive ...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Handling of pre-used tapes needs improvment

Post by veremin »

So, when you insert a new medium inside a library, backup server doesn't place it into unregonized media pool, but rather reports CRC error? Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Garry,
Have you installed patch 1? We have several block size issues fixed, so it worth checking.
Hanson
Lurker
Full Name: Stuart Hanson

Post by Hanson »

I'm having the same issue moving from Arcserve, apart from using Arcserve to wipe the tapes is there another solution ?
GarryG
Novice

Post by GarryG »

d.popov wrote:Hello Garry,
Have you installed patch 1? We have several block size issues fixed, so it worth checking.
Yes, I have the most current patch installed ...
GarryG
Novice

Post by GarryG »

v.Eremin wrote:So, when you insert a new medium inside a library, backup server doesn't place it into unregonized media pool, but rather reports CRC error? Thanks.
Correct ...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Just to clarify - you're using standalone drive, not a library? If so, the typical workaround is to erase a medium using native vendor utility.

Nevertheless, we'd appreciate if you open a ticket with our support team, as we haven't seen CRC errors on tapes before and would like to see the corresponding logs.

Thanks.