Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
bwedv
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam service don't start

Post by bwedv »

Hi Guys,
after some Problems with Windows 7 the Microsoft Support recommends a Windows Inplace Update. After that the Service "Veeam Entpoint Backup" don't start anymore.
I uninstalled the product over the windows control Panel. Also all Microsoft SQL Components. For safety i restart the pc and installed it from scratch. After copy the files, etc.. the wizard try to start the Service....and run into the timeout:

The Service "SQL Server VSS Writer" starts sucessfully.
With informations are necessary for troubleshooting?

Environment:
Windows 7, SP1, 64Bit, Enterprise

Regards,
Daniel
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam service don't start

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Daniel,
Interesting case. Did you try to manually start the Veeam Endpoint Backup service (or reboot)? Also, any antivirus software on board? Can you send me the installation logs from C:\ProgramData\Veeam? Thank you in advance.
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Post by ninjaburn81 »

I wonder if the InPlace Upgrade fried something...

What problems were you having previously that MS Support said an upgrade would fix Daniel? And you (I'm assuming) upgraded to Win7 Enterprise, but from what, Home Premium?
bwedv
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by bwedv »

@ d.popov
I try both. We use Microsoft Forefront Entpoint Protection on our Clients.
How Can i sent you the files? I can't upload files to my comment.

@ninjaburn81
What problems were you having previously that MS Support said an upgrade would fix Daniel?
That's a long Story... short: we had trouble with installing Windows Features and Windows update Service was thinking that Internet Explorer 11 not installed on the System. But it was... The 2nd Level Support try many things but at least Inplace Update was not unavoidable.
And you (I'm assuming) upgraded to Win7 Enterprise, but from what, Home Premium?
No, we use on all machines Windows 7 Enterprise.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

bwedv,
If possible - share via dropbox or google drive and send me a PM with the download link. Thanks
feelgoodeule
Influencer
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by feelgoodeule »

I had that issue too and - if you want it - I think it is reproducable.
- I installed a fresh Windows 8 on a PC. I did not activate windows and I used a local account to install. I Installed VEB with this account.
After that, I made a backup and a recovery ISO. Everything went fine so far.
After that, I added a microsoft account to the installation, activated windows and updated the OS. Logging in with the local account was not possible any more.

And neither was the starting of the backup service.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Guys,

We have a working solution for a similar issue described here. Please double check if it resolves your issue and if not - share the logs (full setup logs C:\ProgramData\Veeam and Windows Event logs Custom View > Administrative events via any suitable cloud storage ). Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Michael, most probably your issue is related to the OS upgrade. While performing upgrade windows moves all the system data to the windows.old folder, and that affects the local db instance. Try to re install Endpoint via the regular setup.