Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Matze
Novice
Liked: never

Slow backup speed?

Post by Matze »

My backup is really slow and I don't know exactly what could be the problem. On my desktop I use 4 Samsung SSD's, 2 of them in a RAID1 mode. My NAS use a RAID5 of 4 x 2TB hard disks and both machines are connected through a gigabit cable connection. If I copy some files directly to the NAS (Windows file transfer), I will get upload speeds between 60-110MB/s. With my backup job I only get 20-30MB/s...

Any idea what I should check?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Slow backup speed?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Matze,

The performance rate in Endpoint is in Megabytes, and task manager’s network transfer rate (I assumed you issued it to check the connection speed, right?) is in the Megabits. Keeping in mind that 1 megabit [Mb] = 0.125 megabyte [MB] - your output looks good
Matze
Novice

Post by Matze »

Hello,

sorry for the delay. No, I used the transfer rate from FreeFileSync and Windows Explorer (detailed information while copy some files). Both using Megabytes/second, not Megabit. So the connection should be much more faster while backup with Veeam. Any idea?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for the update! We had similar issues described in this post The solution was to tune the router between NAS and Endpoint. From the top of my head: shutting down QoS, tuning the firewall rules and disabling jumbo frames might increase the transfer rate.
Matze
Novice

Post by Matze »

Ok, I will take a look and give you some feedback as soon as I tested it with the new configuration.