Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
unluckynoob
Novice
Liked: 1 time

backup copy job compression behaviour

Post by unluckynoob »

hi,

not sure if this is a bug or expected behaviour but I'm experiencing the following on a clients site.

scenario is as follows:

veeam 7.0.0.871 with hyper-v hosts
forward incremental backup for 'server A' with weekly synthetic full, compression level optimal
backup copy job as secondary target for the job, GFS, compression level extreme

the copy job creates a 16.1mb file for each daily incremental regardless of the actual backup size. browsing the files via 'backups - disk' shows backup size 16.1mb data size 0.0....

the copy job finishes with a warning not an error. the logs for the job do show the entry 'restore point is located in backup file with different block size', but curiously the legend for this is a green tick.

I've discovered that changing the compression on the backup job to the same as the copy job and then running an active full, cures the problem and the copy job does indeed start copying valid data.

ideally, the job should error and tell you the correct compression rate that should be used OR there shouldn't be a compression rate option in the copy job.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: backup copy job compression behaviour

Post by foggy »

Block size and this warning have nothing to do with compression, but rather with storage optimization settings (which are not available in the backup copy job). You cannot have VMs backed up using different block sizes in one backup copy job.
unluckynoob
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by unluckynoob »

that's as may be, but those are the symptoms and there is only one VM in the job.

or am I misunderstanding you and you're saying that somebody has changed the target type for the job and that's why the backup copy now doesn't work until I force an active full?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

There was an issue with v7 regarding that, chances are you're seeing it now.