Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

Feature Request - Bandwidth

Post by lowlander » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Is bandwidth throttling planned to be implemented ?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request - Bandwidth

Post by Dima P. »

No plans for v1. I’ve seen this request several times, so it’s going to be discussed for sure. Thank you for the heads up!
JuA
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Julien A

[MERGED] Request : Bandwidth throttling

Post by JuA »

Hi,

Veeam Endpoint backup is very effective... and while the backup job is running 100% of the bandwidth is used.

Some applications (For me now, anything in citrix) are very impacted by this.

Is there a plan to implement some kind of bandwidth throttling ?

Regards,

Julien
Dima P.
Product Manager

Re: Request : Bandwidth throttling

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Julien,
Are you backing up to NAS or there is a chance you are going to use Veeam backup repository as a target?
JuA
Enthusiast

Post by JuA »

I am just backing-up my laptop to a NAS, and today I tested backup to a B&R Backup Repository.

I tested the Backup Repository throttling. It works fine, but the limit is global, not by client.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Julien,
Got it, thanks! It’s not going to be implemented in v1, however, we will keep this request in mind for next version improvements discussions.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Julien AILHAUD wrote:I tested the Backup Repository throttling. It works fine, but the limit is global, not by client.
Can you please clarify this? Throttling rules are not global, you specify source (or range) and target for each rule, so if you want to throttle bandwidth you would need to set source IP addresses of Endpoints and use repository as a target.
JuA
Enthusiast

Post by JuA »

If I setup a Backup Repository with a limit of 8MB/s (nice to avoid put a 100% Load on my 100mbps ethernet link..) , it's cool if only one backup is running.

But when 4 laptop will backup on this backup Repository at the same time, they will have to share these 8MB/s. That's 2MB/s for each one...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct, there is a setting on a repository to throttle the ingest rate, however you can try to use this workaround:

1. Use global network throttling settings in the Veeam backup console
2. Define Endpoint IP range or individual IP addresses there as a source for throttling rules
3. Type in target repository IP address

I haven't tried that, but it do the trick, so I would appreciate if you could report back on your findings.
PavelP
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Pavel P

Post by PavelP »

I used this guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/hyp ... tling.html
and it works for me...
I pointed my local subnet as Source and Target Networks and set Throttle = 40Mbps.
Backup speed of my laptop really dropped from 10MB/s to 5MB/s.
Just one interesting point, on B&R Server side network utilization was not shaped, it sends data to repository 5MB/s and also receives data from repository with 2-3MB/s (I don't know what it reads from repo during backup?). So I have seen 10MB/s traffic on the B&R Server side during backup.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

PavelP wrote:Just one interesting point, on B&R Server side network utilization was not shaped, it sends data to repository 5MB/s and also receives data from repository with 2-3MB/s (I don't know what it reads from repo during backup?). So I have seen 10MB/s traffic on the B&R Server side during backup.
I think it might be some management traffic which is pretty common when you target backup job to a CIFS share.
JuA
Enthusiast

Post by JuA »

PavelP wrote:I used this guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/hyp ... tling.html
and it works for me...
I pointed my local subnet as Source and Target Networks and set Throttle = 40Mbps.
Backup speed of my laptop really dropped from 10MB/s to 5MB/s.
Just one interesting point, on B&R Server side network utilization was not shaped, it sends data to repository 5MB/s and also receives data from repository with 2-3MB/s (I don't know what it reads from repo during backup?). So I have seen 10MB/s traffic on the B&R Server side during backup.
Back on this subject.

+1 for this idea. Easy to implement, works great.

My setup : Limit to 75mbps. My laptop, connected on a 100mbps switch has enough remaining bandwidth to work smoothly on Citrix, SSH and Web application.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for the heads-up. By the way, you may notice some incoming traffic from VBR repo to VEB. It’s usually related to merger process where all the digests from existing backups should be transferred to VEB to perform transform operations.