Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
marcozaro
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Marco Zaro

Impossible to backup xenclient VM

Post by marcozaro »

Good morning , i'm testing also VEB on Citrix xenclient Windows VM but i saw that is not possible to backup this type of vm...
After run it on a network share (everyone R/W access) i saw the creation of the .vbm file and .vbk file but after many hours this .vbk file is still 30 mega and on the control panel of the VEB backup is still at 0%
Using VEB on a "normal" pc on the same network share i have no problem at all.
My goal would be to use the VEB to backup desktop machine using also the restore point feature and by using the recovery disk , restore the vbk file on a new pc when it's time to change the pc: i will reinstall Citrix xenclient , creating the new VM , start it up with the recovery disk and restore the vbk file so i will get back in short time the orginal vm.
Please let me know.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Impossible to backup xenclient VM

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Marco,

To understand everything fully... You have installed VEB on a Windows Client VM that runs on Citrix Xenclient. VEB is installed inside the VM. Everything seems ok, but the backup doesn't run. Is that correct?

I'm not aware of any issues with that but you are the first one that tell us that you want to use it for that (good case BTW...). Maybe d.popov knows of issues?

Can you try a backup again... Let it run for a few hours (cancel if necessary) and then create a support case through the support tab (email support) inside the control panel? And then post the ID here for follow-up.

Thanks

Mike
marcozaro
Enthusiast

Post by marcozaro »

yes you understand correctly , i want to clarify: i have configured a backup job to save data to a network share at the moment without any schedule because i need it to run only one time to create the very first full backup to restore it to another citrix xenclient machine and this start but stay at 0% for hours creating only a 30 mega of backup file.
I have tried to run the backup job with user setup as an administrator of the VM or as a normal user but it doesn't solve the problem.
For who are not aware of citrix xenclient: xenclient is a virtualization type 1 hypervisor to be installed on client , let me say is a shrink version of the xen hypervisor made only for the laptop or desktop , used to created one or more VM that runs locally on desktop or laptop. is far more simple and cheaper than using a VDI solution.

Anyway i have tried again but after 3 hours stay again at 0% and the backup file is again only 30 mega.
i have done further test with other pc with citrix xenclient installed (same version) but i have the same problem so i tried other backup solution like AOMEI but i have the same problem , the only one that is able to produce a backup is the free COMODO backup....
Maybe you can compare this product to the VEB to see why VEB fails...personally i don't like COMODO because is far too complicated to it setup and have no protection on job parameter even if the user is not administrator.
ok next week i will open a support case because i have uninstalled the product to do the test mentioned.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi guys,
Marco, thank you for the detailed description – even I can’t see logs, I feel your issue is related to the VSS provider. As Mike said before, please, open a support case and let me know the case ID. Thank you in advance.
marcozaro
Enthusiast

Post by marcozaro »

Good morning , i have opened a support case , case number is : 00804791
Please let me know.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Marco,
Please, apply the fix and let us know if your issue is resolved or not. Thank you.
marcozaro
Enthusiast

Post by marcozaro »

i have applied the fix and start the backup job yesterday at 17.47 , up to now is running yet but the percentage of the backup is again at 0.
backup file is 30 mega and the timestamp is 17.47....
i also notice if i try to cancel the job , VEB shows cancelling but is not able to kill the process and is not possible to restart the pc , the only way to restart is to power off the pc.
please let me know.