Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Joker24-7
Novice
Liked: never

Diffrence between Backup to Tape and File to Tape

Post by Joker24-7 »

Hi,

i´m new here. Can someone tell me the diffrence betwen a backup to tape Job and file to tape job ?

Thank you for your help
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Diffrence between Backup to Tape and File to Tape

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

Yes, sure. Here you go:
User Guide wrote:▪Backup to tape jobs allow you to archive full backups or forward incremental backup chains stored on disk
▪Files to tape jobs allow you to archive files from any Microsoft Windows or Linux server connected to the Veeam backup server or from a shared folder accessible by the Veeam backup server
Thanks!
Joker24-7
Novice
Liked: never

Post by Joker24-7 »

Hi,

so if I use reversse incremental Backup it makes no diffrence if i do a File to tape or Backup to tape Job is this right ?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It makes, because a files to tape job will transfer both .vib and .vbk files, meanwhile, a backup to tape one only .vbks. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Additionally, if you use backup to tape jobs, you will be able to track what VMs are on tapes, as opposed to using file to tape jobs. In the second variant you will only know which files are stored on tapes.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Christoph,
so if I use reversse incremental Backup it makes no diffrence if i do a File to tape or Backup to tape Job is this right
Existing backup to tape functionality has one limitation for backup source - reverse incremental backups .vrb and Microsoft SQL Server log files .vlb are skipped, so if you target backup to tape to the reversed incremental backup, only vbk will be transferred.

As guys said, having file to tape job with reversed incremental is ok because it will recognize backup as a regular file, so both vrb’s and vbk’s are pushed to tape. Keep in mind that file to tape job does not provide you the advanced scheduling options like starting tape job after the source disk job is completed or when new backup file appear in the repository.

In addition you can refer to our Help Center > Archiving Data to Tape chapter. Thank you.
jessie0
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by jessie0 »

Hello

"Additionally, if you use backup to tape jobs, you will be able to track what VMs are on tapes, as opposed to using file to tape jobs. In the second variant you will only know which files are stored on tapes."

Does the above statement mean that "Backup to Tape" jobs are for backing up entire VMs and or physical servers, while "File to Tape" jobs are as the name implies, VM or physical server directories and files only?

Thank you.
Net Runner
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by Net Runner »

Correct. You may treat the "File to Tape" procedure as a more granular approach of protecting particular files and folders on your physical servers or inside the VMs. In the contrary "Backup to Tape" operates whole objects be it virtual machines or physical servers.
jessie0
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by jessie0 »

Hello Net Runner,

Got it!
Thanks for the clarification!