Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Wrong proxy selection with VeeamZIP?

Post by pufferdude »

We have a pretty simple setup: Veeam 8 physical server with 20TB local storage (and connected to SAN), one additional VM proxy on the same LAN (but not same IP segment) and multiple proxies across a WAN. With automatic proxy selection on my BACKUP jobs, it always picks the right ones... but today I did a VeeamZIP for a VM I'm decommissioning, and it chose two proxies ACROSS THE WAN to use to back up to LOCAL storage (the other local VM proxy was disabled because of something else I was testing.)

Is this expected behavior, where VeeamZIP jobs just pick random proxies? I went ahead and stopped the job, enabled the local VM proxy, and restarted it... now it chose that one, but STILL didn't choose the Veeam server itself as a proxy, which would have been the best choice as this is a SAN-accessible VM going to local veeam storage. (and no, the veeam server wasn't doing any other jobs at all.) It's as if it was insisting on using hotadd for this job, and since the only proxies available (first job) that can do hotadd were across the wan, it chose them.

Just trying to understand what happened here... not a huge deal since my backup/replication jobs ARE choosing sane proxies and I don't VeeamZIP that often. It's also curious that VeeamZIP has no ability to let you select the proxy... unless I'm just missing it.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Wrong proxy selection with VeeamZIP?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

VeeamZIP should be picking up the same proxy servers as your backup jobs do, so I wonder what info is contained in the logs of this VeeamZIP job.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

What proxies are involved if you back up this VM using the normal backup job?
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

The VM has been decommissioned, so I can't run any more backups on it. At this point it's just a curiosity and I came here just to see if anyone had seen something similar. The next time I do a VeeamZIP I'll pay closer attention and run some backup tests on the VM to see what proxies are chosen vs when the VeeamZIP runs.
andyg
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andy Goldschmidt

Post by andyg »

i also have this issue, the Veeamzip is choosing an IP on the repository that's not accessible.
-= VMCE v9 certified =-
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Just reporting that this issue still exists with Veeam 9.5 update4... There is still no way to choose what proxy a VeeamZIP job uses, and for whatever reason in my environment these jobs want to use proxies across the WAN. It's just bizarre. Backup jobs have no trouble picking the right/best proxies.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Did you ever create a support case for this issue? If yes, can you give me case ID? Thanks.
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Sorry, I never did. But I will!