Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

Firewall ports and VEB

Post by lowlander »

Hi,

great integration with Veeam B&R now, regarding VEB repositories.

We want to backup to the B&R environment with VEB over the internet. Is this technically possible and supported with VEB ?

Big question, what ports should be forwarded / opened between laptop <> Internet <> B&R server (suppose all Veeam components are installed on the B&R server) ?
niknaks456
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: NIKNAKS

Re: Firewall ports and VEB

Post by niknaks456 »

+1 If not possible we would really like to see it as it will allow us to standardise all backup options.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you setup a VPN connection to the network where Veeam B&R server is installed and then save your backups to the repository of Veeam backup server? In this case you should not be worried about ports management and securing your data when sending over the internet connection.
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

Post by lowlander » 1 person likes this post

Point taken :)

VPN is indeed the way to go. What really would be a nice feature is to define an alternate IP address in the backup job configuration. When you use local ip address the job uses the internal LAN address. When using a VPN solution (E.g. PPTP VPN) you use the assigned IP address in the backup job configuration for the VPN tunnel.

Managed to test this with incoming connections enabled on a Windows 2012R2 server :)
benthomas
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Ben Thomas

Post by benthomas »

Is it possible to get these ports? I'm looking to test this backing up some DMZ servers so would like to be able to open the firewall ports between VEB and VBR in the LAN
Ben Thomas | Solutions Advisor | Veeam Vanguard 2023 | VMCE2022 | Microsoft MVP 2018-2023 | BCThomas.com
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I believe these ports should be the same as in Veeam B&R server > Used Ports (will try to confirm tomorrow)
andreash
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Andreas Holzhammer

Post by andreash »

Any update on this? Also trying to backup DMZ servers here.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Andreas,

You need to use ports mentioned in this on-line help center page > Used Ports.

Thanks!
cdicks
Novice

[MERGED] VEB for External clients

Post by cdicks »

Hey

I'm wondering if it's possible to allow external VEB clients connect to an internal VBR server.

I've tried opening port 10001 up and i can connect to the Veeam server, however, when the client starts the backup it fails saying it can't connect to the server. Is there a port range I can open on our firewall for the data transfer?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

[MERGED] Re:VEB for External clients

Post by PTide »

Hi,

10001 is not the only tcp port used for interconnection between VEB and VBR. Please refer to this ports table. If any questions arise please let us know.

Thank you.
cdicks
Novice

Post by cdicks »

Ah thanks guys

The port list is what i was looking for! I'll open these ports and give it a test

VPN does work fine but we use Microsoft DirectAccess for most external users so most of the time they aren't connected to VPN. However, saying that, I could set their VEB client to only backup when backup target is connected.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

I could set their VEB client to only backup when backup target is connected.
Sounds like a plan. By the way there is an option to “Disable backup over metered connection” in Control Panel > Settings and you can use it in order to avoid backing up while connected to wireless networks like 3G/4G.