Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Pete411
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Pete

Windows file restore from tape

Post by Pete411 »

I needed to restore a folder for our DBAs for a database, however when I did this it asked me for several different tapes. We do a full backup of this folder everynight, so it is not incremental. I picked the correct backup set, which was the night before, so I thought it would just take that one tape and restore the folder,becasue it uses one tape every night but it asked me for several tapes. I did not understand this so I called Veeam support and when they looked into it they said it is performing as expected per the user guide

Case # 00825799

http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... jects.html

(When you restore an entire folder from tape, Veeam Backup & Replication restores all files that have ever existed in the folder and been archived to tape. To restore files in the folder, Veeam Backup & Replication scans the selected backup set and backup sets that were created previously. If a file is not found in the selected backup set, Veeam Backup & Replication will restore the most recent version of the file from a backup set preceding the selected backup set.)

How can I change this behavior, it does not make any sense to me to have to have several tapes for a folder that was just backed up last night.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Windows file restore from tape

Post by veremin »

Hi,

Can you provide for us settings of a given media pool, both mediaset and retention ones, as well as full and incremental settings of a file to tape job?

Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Pete,
We do a full backup of this folder everynight, so it is not incremental.
Additionally, please clarify if the incremental backup is disabled in file to tape? Thank you.
Pete411
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Pete

Post by Pete411 »

I would like to add an attachment so I can show you the settings, but I am unable, how else can I show you the settings?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Take a screenshot and upload it to any public image hosting server (like, imgur or similar). Thanks.