Windows file restore from tape

Everything about backing up to tape

Windows file restore from tape

Veeam Logoby Pete411 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:44 pm

I needed to restore a folder for our DBAs for a database, however when I did this it asked me for several different tapes. We do a full backup of this folder everynight, so it is not incremental. I picked the correct backup set, which was the night before, so I thought it would just take that one tape and restore the folder,becasue it uses one tape every night but it asked me for several tapes. I did not understand this so I called Veeam support and when they looked into it they said it is performing as expected per the user guide

Case # 00825799

http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/vsphere/index.html?restore_files_from_tape_objects.html

(When you restore an entire folder from tape, Veeam Backup & Replication restores all files that have ever existed in the folder and been archived to tape. To restore files in the folder, Veeam Backup & Replication scans the selected backup set and backup sets that were created previously. If a file is not found in the selected backup set, Veeam Backup & Replication will restore the most recent version of the file from a backup set preceding the selected backup set.)

How can I change this behavior, it does not make any sense to me to have to have several tapes for a folder that was just backed up last night.
Pete411
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Pete

Re: Windows file restore from tape

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:22 pm

Hi,

Can you provide for us settings of a given media pool, both mediaset and retention ones, as well as full and incremental settings of a file to tape job?

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:54 pm

Pete,
We do a full backup of this folder everynight, so it is not incremental.

Additionally, please clarify if the incremental backup is disabled in file to tape? Thank you.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Pete411 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:08 pm

I would like to add an attachment so I can show you the settings, but I am unable, how else can I show you the settings?
Pete411
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Pete

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:20 am

Take a screenshot and upload it to any public image hosting server (like, imgur or similar). Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Tape