Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
alphanimal
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Albrecht

VEB and Windows 10

Post by alphanimal »

This is from Event Viewer:

Source: VeeamEndpointBackupSvc

Code: Select all

Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Error occurred during LocalDB instance startup: SQL Server process failed to start.

at Veeam.Common.CSqlLocalDb.ThrowLocalDbException(Int32 errorCode, String function)
   at Veeam.Common.CSqlLocalDb.StartInstance(String instanceName)
   at Veeam.Common.CSqlLocalDbInstance.Start()
   at Veeam.EndPoint.CEndPointServiceImpl.StartSqlInstanceIfNeeded(CSqlLocalDbInstance sqlInstance)
   at Veeam.EndPoint.CEndPointServiceImpl.PrepareSqlInstance(DatabaseFile databaseFile)
   at Veeam.EndPoint.CEndPointServiceImpl..ctor(CVbOptions options, CTerminationMediator terminator, CExternalEventsWatcher externalEventsWatcher)
   at Veeam.EndPoint.EndPointService.OnStart(String[] args)
   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)
Source: SQLLocalDB 11.0:

Windows API call WaitForMultipleObjects returned error code: 575. Windows system error message is: {Application Error}
The application was unable to start correctly (0x%lx). Click OK to close the application.
Reported at line: 3621. 

Cannot access LocalDB instance folder: %%LOCALAPPDATA%%\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\Instances\<instance name>.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VEB and Windows 10 Technical Preview

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Daniel,

Aside from the fact that Windows 10 is not even in the BETA state yet and therefore Endpoint installation on Win10 is not supported, errors you posted look like a typical installation problem discussed in this thread. Please, check before you go part of this post - more likely it’s an account access issue, otherwise please share the installation logs.

Thank you in advance.
xnederland
Novice
Full Name: MikeW

Post by xnederland »

After the Windows 10 build 10041 update, the VEB RC service would not start on my pc. I uninstalled VEB and reinstalled as admin with compatibility mode set to Windows 8 and still the VEB service would not start. Again I uninstalled and reinstalled VEB as admin this time with compatibility mode off. The service started and the issue was resolved.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Mike,
There is no need to use the compatibility mode during setup: we’ve disabled the pre setup check for windows 10 installations in the RC build, so it should be working fine.
zapnet
Lurker
Full Name: Oliver Servay

Post by zapnet »

I have the same Problem.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, this is expected, because Windows 10 preview builds are not supported by Veeam Endpoint Backup.
Daniel N.
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by Daniel N. »

I'm running VEP on Windows 10.10041. No problems here, runs very smooth. :)

Still, running a beta on a beta, I would expect anything ;)
xnederland
Novice
Full Name: MikeW

Post by xnederland »

Today's update of Windows 10 Technical Preview 2 build 10049 (which includes "Spartan”, Microsoft’s new web browser) broke my working VEB 1.0.0.1921. After several repairs, uninstalls, restarts and registry cleanups the VEB service has started. Yea!
Daniel N.
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by Daniel N. »

xnederland wrote:Today's update of Windows 10 Technical Preview 2 build 10049 (which includes "Spartan”, Microsoft’s new web browser) broke my working VEB 1.0.0.1921. After several repairs, uninstalls, restarts and registry cleanups the VEB service has started. Yea!
I hope this only affected you and not me when I upgrade :?

Thanks for letting us know :)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello guys,

We really appreciate the time you spent testing VEB with different Windows versions.

Please be advised however, that Windows 10 is completely not supported at this time. We will start supporting Windows 10 only after our QC team receives the RTM build and performs the full regression testing against the shipping code. Until that happens, you can save yourself some time reporting all the bugs you encounter running our product on the pre-release Windows 10 versions.

Based on the quote for the MS article - Before you install
Unexpected PC crashes could damage or even delete your files, so you should back up everything. Some printers and other hardware might not work, and some software might not install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs. You might also have trouble connecting to home or corporate networks.
I got a feeling that you could use Veeam Endpoint Backup to protect you existing OS before upgrading to Tech Preview :wink:

The advice is to install Veeam Endpoint Backup on your existing Win 7/8.x computer, create a Veeam Recovery Media and full backup of your computer. I suggest using the Entire PC backup, as you may want to revert the OS back, saving backup files to external storage is preferable. Once this procedure is completed – you are safe to test the Windows 10 Tech Preview build.
john.priest
Novice
Full Name: John Priest

Willing to test in Windows 10 Environment

Post by john.priest »

Hello,

Even though it is not officially supported, when the time is right, I would be willing to test this product in a Windows 10 environment. As of right now it won't even install (even in compatibility mode). Will try in a Windows 8.1 environment until things are ready for 10.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello John,

Pre-release versions of Microsoft Windows 10 are not supported. Thanks
john.priest
Novice
Full Name: John Priest

Post by john.priest »

Understood that Windows 10 is not supported for VEB. I am happy to report though that after some research and using a unique install approach VEB 1.0.0.1954 appears to be working with Windows 10 Build 10122...and of course Windows 8.1
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

John, Could you share your "unique install approach" I would be curious to try this myself. Understanding its not supported by Veeam.
VMCE v9
SamVan
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam Pahlavan

Windows 10 Support

Post by SamVan »

I have tried to run Veeam Endpoint 1.0.0.1954 on a laptop that was upgraded from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home (Insider Preview) but the Endpoint service did not start after the upgrade to Windows 10 was completed. When I tried to manually start the service I received an error message. The error message was something to the effect that "some services start and stop again...." (Sorry did not document the entire error).
So I decided to uninstall Endpoint and reinstall it but now I'm getting "Current OS is not supported or lacks the required service pack. See system requirements for more information."

Will Windows 10 be supported in the next release of Endpoint or will a patch be available for Windows 10 support? Time frame?

Thank you.

SP
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Sam,

I’ve merged your post to the existing discussions.
SamVan
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam Pahlavan

Post by SamVan »

Thanks Dima. Hopefully I will get a reply back with an answer soon.
Thanks again.

SP
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Windows 10 support is planned for Veeam Endpoint Backup 1.1 to be release late July (depending on Windows 10 RTM code availability to us). Thanks!
planetcoop
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris Cooper

[MERGED] Windows 10 Current builds of 10147 and higher

Post by planetcoop »

has anyone gotten a recent version of windows 10 to work? I had seen this artical but have not gotten it to work on newer builds: https://tinkertry.com/veeam-endpoint-ba ... ws-10-beta

i know this is not released and supported but i do like windows 10 and endpoint.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Chris,
Kindly, please wait until we verify that Veeam Endpoint Backup is fully capable with the RTM build of Windows 10 and release version 1.1. Thanks
Adri
Lurker
Full Name: Adri Noordover

Post by Adri »

Considering that 10240 is now RTM, would be interesting to hear if VEB is compatible, Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Windows 10 support will be provided in the upcoming 1.1 update. Besides, there is no official statement that 10240 is an RTM so it should be threaded like a regular insiders build.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Adri wrote:Considering that 10240 is now RTM
Hi, can you please send a link to the official announcements? We've been waiting for one ;)
The only official statement I saw is about 10240 release to a slow ring, which is a half way to RTM.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I found a "bunch" of articles saying its close but not RTM. I found a "couple" articles saying it will be the RTM. I found zero articles from MS themselves saying it is RTM. So for now it looks like its still in the rumor phase until MS actually releases it to OEM's and makes an official announcement.
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

It’s good to check with the officials – Windows 10 insiders blogs in this case: for instance while I was googling the topic I started from articles like “MS it’s close to the RTM” and ended with “Windows 10 is released” :mrgreen:
stratification
Lurker
Full Name: Aaron Leavitt

Post by stratification »

Now that the official position seems to be that there will be no "RTM", but 10240 is the last build before release is there any change for the VEB?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Aaron, for full support of Windows 10 by VEB, you need to wait for the update we are about to release in August.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We are currently testing with 10240, so if it ends up becoming the release build - then this is great, as it means less work for us (no need to retest)!
tinkererguy
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Paul Braren

Post by tinkererguy »

Still no 10240 ISO in MSDN downloads, sigh. By the way, seems my test VMs at 10162 won't update to 10240 yesterday or today, no matter how much I try to "convince" it to let me (turning Fast to Slow and back didn't work). Oh well, glad I got several systems up to 10240 last week.
tinkererguy
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Paul Braren

Post by tinkererguy » 3 people like this post

Overnight, the update offer to 10240 happened, all set on that VM.
Fired up another 10162 VM today, no go, no offer of 10240.
So perhaps Microsoft is sticking with nighttime downloads only, to avoid Akamai CDN abuse during the day, perhaps. Just a theory.
I wrote something up about how you can see which CDN your upgrade comes from at https://TinkerTry.com/download-windows-10.