VEB and Windows 10

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

VEB and Windows 10

Veeam Logoby alphanimal » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:01 pm

This is from Event Viewer:

Source: VeeamEndpointBackupSvc

Code: Select all
Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Error occurred during LocalDB instance startup: SQL Server process failed to start.

at Veeam.Common.CSqlLocalDb.ThrowLocalDbException(Int32 errorCode, String function)
   at Veeam.Common.CSqlLocalDb.StartInstance(String instanceName)
   at Veeam.Common.CSqlLocalDbInstance.Start()
   at Veeam.EndPoint.CEndPointServiceImpl.StartSqlInstanceIfNeeded(CSqlLocalDbInstance sqlInstance)
   at Veeam.EndPoint.CEndPointServiceImpl.PrepareSqlInstance(DatabaseFile databaseFile)
   at Veeam.EndPoint.CEndPointServiceImpl..ctor(CVbOptions options, CTerminationMediator terminator, CExternalEventsWatcher externalEventsWatcher)
   at Veeam.EndPoint.EndPointService.OnStart(String[] args)
   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

Source: SQLLocalDB 11.0:

Windows API call WaitForMultipleObjects returned error code: 575. Windows system error message is: {Application Error}
The application was unable to start correctly (0x%lx). Click OK to close the application.
Reported at line: 3621.

Cannot access LocalDB instance folder: %%LOCALAPPDATA%%\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\Instances\<instance name>.
alphanimal
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Albrecht

Re: VEB and Windows 10 Technical Preview

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:23 pm

Hello Daniel,

Aside from the fact that Windows 10 is not even in the BETA state yet and therefore Endpoint installation on Win10 is not supported, errors you posted look like a typical installation problem discussed in this thread. Please, check before you go part of this post - more likely it’s an account access issue, otherwise please share the installation logs.

Thank you in advance.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby xnederland » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:36 pm

After the Windows 10 build 10041 update, the VEB RC service would not start on my pc. I uninstalled VEB and reinstalled as admin with compatibility mode set to Windows 8 and still the VEB service would not start. Again I uninstalled and reinstalled VEB as admin this time with compatibility mode off. The service started and the issue was resolved.
xnederland
Novice

Full Name: MikeW

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Hi Mike,
There is no need to use the compatibility mode during setup: we’ve disabled the pre setup check for windows 10 installations in the RC build, so it should be working fine.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby zapnet » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:26 am

I have the same Problem.
zapnet
Lurker

Full Name: Oliver Servay

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:34 am

Yes, this is expected, because Windows 10 preview builds are not supported by Veeam Endpoint Backup.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1099 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Daniel N. » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:51 pm

I'm running VEP on Windows 10.10041. No problems here, runs very smooth. :)

Still, running a beta on a beta, I would expect anything ;)
Daniel N.
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times

Veeam Logoby xnederland » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:19 pm

Today's update of Windows 10 Technical Preview 2 build 10049 (which includes "Spartan”, Microsoft’s new web browser) broke my working VEB 1.0.0.1921. After several repairs, uninstalls, restarts and registry cleanups the VEB service has started. Yea!
xnederland
Novice

Full Name: MikeW

Veeam Logoby Daniel N. » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:50 pm

xnederland wrote:Today's update of Windows 10 Technical Preview 2 build 10049 (which includes "Spartan”, Microsoft’s new web browser) broke my working VEB 1.0.0.1921. After several repairs, uninstalls, restarts and registry cleanups the VEB service has started. Yea!

I hope this only affected you and not me when I upgrade :?

Thanks for letting us know :)
Daniel N.
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:49 am

Hello guys,

We really appreciate the time you spent testing VEB with different Windows versions.

Please be advised however, that Windows 10 is completely not supported at this time. We will start supporting Windows 10 only after our QC team receives the RTM build and performs the full regression testing against the shipping code. Until that happens, you can save yourself some time reporting all the bugs you encounter running our product on the pre-release Windows 10 versions.

Based on the quote for the MS article - Before you install
Unexpected PC crashes could damage or even delete your files, so you should back up everything. Some printers and other hardware might not work, and some software might not install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs. You might also have trouble connecting to home or corporate networks.

I got a feeling that you could use Veeam Endpoint Backup to protect you existing OS before upgrading to Tech Preview :wink:

The advice is to install Veeam Endpoint Backup on your existing Win 7/8.x computer, create a Veeam Recovery Media and full backup of your computer. I suggest using the Entire PC backup, as you may want to revert the OS back, saving backup files to external storage is preferable. Once this procedure is completed – you are safe to test the Windows 10 Tech Preview build.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Willing to test in Windows 10 Environment

Veeam Logoby john.priest » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:26 pm

Hello,

Even though it is not officially supported, when the time is right, I would be willing to test this product in a Windows 10 environment. As of right now it won't even install (even in compatibility mode). Will try in a Windows 8.1 environment until things are ready for 10.
john.priest
Novice

Full Name: John Priest

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:29 pm

Hello John,

Pre-release versions of Microsoft Windows 10 are not supported. Thanks
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby john.priest » Fri May 22, 2015 2:46 pm

Understood that Windows 10 is not supported for VEB. I am happy to report though that after some research and using a unique install approach VEB 1.0.0.1954 appears to be working with Windows 10 Build 10122...and of course Windows 8.1
john.priest
Novice

Full Name: John Priest

Veeam Logoby JaxIsland7575 » Fri May 22, 2015 2:59 pm

John, Could you share your "unique install approach" I would be curious to try this myself. Understanding its not supported by Veeam.
VMCE v9
JaxIsland7575
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 98 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Windows 10 Support

Veeam Logoby SamVan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:01 pm

I have tried to run Veeam Endpoint 1.0.0.1954 on a laptop that was upgraded from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home (Insider Preview) but the Endpoint service did not start after the upgrade to Windows 10 was completed. When I tried to manually start the service I received an error message. The error message was something to the effect that "some services start and stop again...." (Sorry did not document the entire error).
So I decided to uninstall Endpoint and reinstall it but now I'm getting "Current OS is not supported or lacks the required service pack. See system requirements for more information."

Will Windows 10 be supported in the next release of Endpoint or will a patch be available for Windows 10 support? Time frame?

Thank you.

SP
SamVan
Influencer

Full Name: Sam Pahlavan

Next

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows