Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Grevers
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Greg Evers

Combine Multiple VMs in to a single job

Post by Grevers »

Hi,

We currently have an individual backup job for each individiual server.

I was wondering if there was a way of combining multiple servers in to a single without losing the backup chain for the servers. Is it possible to merge multiple backup jobs in to a single backup job?

I am currently performing forward incremental backups for each server, so I would like to keep the chain in place.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

I would appreciate any assistance that you may have.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Combine Multiple VMs in to a single job

Post by veremin »

Create a backup copy job selecting all backups jobs as its source. Let it run at least one cycle and then disable it. After that create a new backup job and map it to data created by the backup copy job.

Thanks.
Grevers
Novice

Post by Grevers »

Thanks, but I was just wondering if that will keep the backup chain, or will it create a brand new chain?

For instance, if we have Server 1 that has 200 restore points and Server 2 that has 200 restore points, when we create the backup job will we be able to manage all of the restore points (ie, delete the last restore point if the server is only configured to keep 200 restore points?), or will it create a new backup chain and we'll have to manually manage the previous number of restore points?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The new job will start a brand new chain, you will have to manage retention of the old restore points manually (or at least script it).
Grevers
Novice

Post by Grevers »

Thanks for the clarification, I was afraid that was going to be the response.
ebarrios08
Novice
Full Name: Edsel Barrios

[MERGED] Merging backup jobs

Post by ebarrios08 »

I have several backup jobs that I created when I started working with Veeam. They have been working wonderfully. At this point I was wondering if there was a way to consolidate the jobs into a couple of jobs. I don't want to re create jobs. If there is no way of doing this maybe, it could be added to a future release.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Merging backup jobs

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Edsel,
You can add vms from one jobs to another jobs. Existing backups will be deleted in accordance to its retention.
Note that it`s recommended to group vms of the same OS and applications to get better deduplication results.
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Edsel, you can do what you're after with the help of backup copy jobs. You can create a backup copy job to merge several backup jobs into a single VBK file and then use that file to seed the new combined backup job.
ceez
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Cesar

[MERGED] Moving already backed up servers to a different bku

Post by ceez »

Hello everyone,

So I am consolidating 3 servers that reside on 3 different backup jobs to a single backup job.

I want to be able to keep the restore points of the current backup jobs onto the new job I"ll be creating. Is it possible to MAP those jobs to a new job?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, this is possible, please see above.
npandav
Novice
Full Name: Naresh Pandav

[MERGED] Merge Backup Jobs

Post by npandav »

Is there a way of merging two backup jobs into one while maintaining the backup chain?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Merge Backup Jobs

Post by veremin »

You can create a backup copy job to produce single backup file combining the latest state of both backup chains. Thanks.
npandav
Novice
Full Name: Naresh Pandav

Re: Merge Backup Jobs

Post by npandav »

Thanks.

Is there a way of moving\merging the backup chain into another job? We are trying to consolidate backups into few jobs so want to move VM's from several jobs into one new job.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Naresh, you cannot combine existing backup chains, but you can rearrange VMs in your jobs using the way mentioned by Vladimir to continue with less jobs. Some details above.
kunniyoor
Enthusiast
Full Name: Krishnakuamr

[MERGED] How can we attach the backup sets created by old job for individual vm to the new job set.

Post by kunniyoor »

May be weird, but faced this challenge. We r having multiple vm's getting backed up daily through more than 20 backup jobs. Our client want to consolidate it to max 5 backup jobs which should protect the same vm's.
How can we attach the backup sets created by old job for individual vm to the new job set. So that the new job should not process a fresh full backup.

If not available in current releases. May we can expect this in future release. It's a pain when the vm's are of 5tb in size and need to shift them from one job to another.

Krish
Bahrain
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: How can we attach the backup sets created by old job for individual vm to the new job set.

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
unfortunately that's not possible today. Yes, we are aware of that situation and a future release will eventually fix it (I cannot say anything about the timeline right now).

Best regards,
Hannes
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can seed the new job with the help of a backup copy though, see above.
kunniyoor
Enthusiast
Full Name: Krishnakuamr

Post by kunniyoor »

If backup copy can do the magic, that's great.. But our problem really lies with two vms with 5tb in size and repository is having less than 3tb free space. In that case backup copy is not going to help.