Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
poussah
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Renaud Boitouzet

Instantrecovery publish timeout

Post by poussah »

Hi,

I'm demonstrating a client how he could use Veeam, and thus using a demo license to prove it's effective for him.

My temporary backup server is a Win7 Desktop (something stronger will be bought if he likes and buys Veeam), and my backup is on a NAS.

I'm trying to run InstantRecovery, and it always fails after 30 minutes or so, during the "publishing" phase.

The big problem: the backup is about 10 TB big, and I think it's a bit much for the server to manage. Small VMs have been instant-recovered without any problem. We can see huge data transfers from the NAS to the server, with no writes on the B&R server disks. On the ESXi host, the NFS datastore is mounted but that's it.

On the NFS datastore, on one of the created folders (on per attempt), I can see the four huge vmdk files, on the others I cant.

Is it possible, maybe via the registry, to increase the 30 mn timeout, so I can at least prove it works? What would be the server requirements (Server+repository proxy+NFS) to manage such a big file?

I only have 4 days of trial left to prove it's viable, any help would be much appreciated!!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Instantrecovery publish timeout

Post by foggy »

You can try to set higher IrMountLeaseTimeOut (REG_DWORD) value (default one is 30 minutes). The value goes under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication. Btw, do you get any messages when Instant Recovery session is terminated?
poussah
Influencer

Post by poussah »

thanks, i'll try.

it fails with unable to publish, A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond...
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

It also worth contacting support to verify your setup and review IR logs for more definitive reason of the failure.
poussah
Influencer

Post by poussah »

No change, same error... the registry key is in minutes, and in HKLM/Software/Veeam/B&R, right?

I opened a support case, hope it'll help before the evaluation ends.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct. Please tell us our case ID, so we could update this topic for future readers.
poussah
Influencer

Post by poussah »

Case ID #00877560
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Judging on the error, the failure is not caused by extremely long disks mount (which that reg value controls), so please continue investigating with support.
poussah
Influencer

Post by poussah »

I'm still waiting to hear from support. But it always fails between 30:25 and 30:35, looks a lot like some timeout to me!