Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
oonyekpa
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Onyemaechi Onyekpa

Moving Full backup to another location

Post by oonyekpa »

I have a full backup of my system which was performed to a USB drive. However, I want to transfer it to a NAS device and perform the incremental backups there also perform any recovery from the NAS device. Is this possible and how do I go about it?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Moving Full backup to another location

Post by Dima P. »

Hi oonyekpa,
You can manually move the existing backup files from USB drive to the shared folder on the NAS you are going to use as a backup destination. Then go to ‘Configure backup’ and change the Destination type to the Shared Folder with previously moved backup chain. Endpoint will recognize the files and continue the backup – it will be an incremental job run instead of the full backup.
squeeky
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by squeeky »

I also have tried to do this with GA release, and not matter where in the file hierarchy I specify the shared folder on the NAS (where I have moved the full backup from the USB drive) Veeam proceeds to create a new folder and launch a full backup. Is there a way of forcing it to recognize a backup chain?
Awesome product btw, was just looking into other backup solutions this now covers all bases for physical machines and hasn't failed yet.
Thx.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

squeeky,

Did you moved the backups from an RC (or beta) version? That won't work as there are changes so the GA will make a new chain. If it is a chain that has been made by GA, moved, and then you changed the destination then it should work. I have verified it and it works perfectly

Let me know

Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Agree with Mike. Could you please verify that existing backup chain was not created previously by BETA or RC? Thanks.