Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
arcticfunk
Novice
Liked: never

Scheduling full backups daily

Post by arcticfunk »

Good day all this is my first post with Veeam also new to the veeam environment. I recently downloaded the Veeam Endpoint Backup and i am using it to backup a physical file server. I will like to based my backups using the following stratergy. Full backups(not of entire server but only of Shares drives) done daily (Mon to Fri) For each day backup I will like to specify a different location for the following reason. I am currently backing up to disk and there is a folder created for each day (ex Mon, Tue, Wed etc) so Mon backup is to backed up to Mon Folder and Tue to Tue Folder. Can someone provide some guide line on how I can accomplish this using Veeam Endpoint Backup.

Also my company recently purchased the Veeam Suite 8. Is there some way that I can install the Exchange and Active Directory Explorer to a different machine from the machine that has the Veeam Suite installed.

Regards

Arcticfunk
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Scheduling full backups daily

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to use rotated destination for your backup job, then please take a look a this section of our user guide > Backup to Rotated Drives

As regards installing Veeam Explorers on a separate server, then currently it is not possible. Let me know if that helps.
arcticfunk
Novice

Post by arcticfunk »

Good day Mr S Thanx for you quick reply Please note that I am backing up to a different folder (for each day) on the same drive for example Monday's backup is sent to \\serverA\Backups\Mon and Tuesday's backup is sent to \\ServerA\Backups\Tue. I am not sure if Backup to rotated drives can achieve this

Regards

Arcticfunk
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

ArticFunk,

That indeed is not possible with rotating drives, and also that is not possible at all I think. I also don't understand why you would want to do that? Since the first one is a full, and all the next ones are incremental, there is no real reason to store them in different folders. For recoveries, you will simply be able to select the date of the backup and you can start recovering.

Is there a specific reason for this folder strategy?

Mike
arcticfunk
Novice

Post by arcticfunk »

Good day Sir at present my current backup strategy is based on what I described in my First Post . Basically I backup to disk and then to removable media. So what is setup is a Folder for each day on the disk and this suits our needs at present. The existing backup application is not longer supported so I have to start looking at some other backup method. My company recently purchased the Veeam 8 suite hence my reason for looking at Veeam, but in my case I am dealing with Physical servers and Also I will like to do a full backup everyday and not one full and the rest incremental. I hope this helps .
Can I use Windows 2008 R2 task scheduler to schedule a Veeam Endpoint Backup
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello arcticfunk,
Also I will like to do a full backup everyday and not one full and the rest incremental.
The default backup mode in Veeam Endpoint Backup is forever incremental – so the only first backup will be a full backup, all further scheduled backups are increments. Kindly, take a look at the Help Center's detailed explanation of the process here: Backup Chain
Basically I backup to disk and then to removable media.
What you can do - set the removable media as a target and then use ‘When backup target is connected event’ to trigger the backup creation. Speaking of rotated drives – you can register multiple USB devices in the Endpoint Control Panel and if you do every device in the list could trigger the backup creation once connected. Here are the details: Backup to Rotated Drives
Can I use Windows 2008 R2 task scheduler to schedule a Veeam Endpoint Backup
Unfortunately, it’s not supported in Veeam Endpoint Backup v1.