Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mernst
Influencer
Liked: never

Cleanup broken backup-chain

Post by mernst »

Hi

I got a corrupted Backup-chain and need to clean up.
If I uninstall / reinstall the SW, it still show me the old entries in control panel.

Thanks for help
Markus
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Cleanup broken backup-chain

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

"Backup files created with Veeam Endpoint Backup are removed automatically according to the retention policy settings. However, you can also remove backup files manually if necessary.
Always delete the whole backup chain from the target location. If you delete a full backup file or individual incremental backup file from the backup chain, the chain will be broken, and Veeam Endpoint Backup will fail to perform the scheduled backup next time.
If you remove the whole backup chain from the target location, during the next backup job session, Veeam Endpoint Backup will produce a new full backup. All subsequent backups will be incremental."

I pulled that from the User guide, did you try removing all the backups and letting it run a fresh full?
VMCE v9
mernst
Influencer

Post by mernst »

Hi

Thanks. I have already done that, before you replied and started a backup again, which is now finished. The Control Panel still shows the old Restore-Points, but they are no available for restore (that's clear). So it's just a cosmetic issue yet.

regards
Markus
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

We know about this because we don't delete the database when you uninstall the software (you might need it afterwards during the re-install). That's why that database still knows about them and shows them. Those restore points will indeed become invisible after the retention period so you are good in x amount of days but I understand it is not so much fun to see it :-)

What I am more interested in, is the fact that you broke the chain. Any more details on that?

Thanks

Mike
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Wrong incremental deleted, perhaps :D
Supi_Du
Influencer
Full Name: Stefan Zimmer

Post by Supi_Du »

I think the Backup-Job should test at least the existence of all the files of the Backup-Chain. So, when broken, then switch to Full-Backup.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

So, when broken, then switch to Full-Backup.
If the increment is deleted (or corrupted for some reason) it should be skipped and all further incremental runs would not include such increment into processing.
mernst
Influencer

Post by mernst »

Hi

@Mike:
I have tested, if bare-metal recovery is working. So powered off down real server, restored it with created boot CD to another box and tested it out.
Murphy's law: the endpoint backup was starting backup during my tests ... so I got a mixed backup and I liked to delete the newest incremental backup-file.

regards
Markus
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Markus,
Thanks for the heads up! By the way, while testing you can set endpoint scheduled backup to disabled in the Control Panel > Settings :wink: