Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Iceman74
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Baptiste

Error during first backup

Post by Iceman74 »

Hello,

I have a problem with the backup of a Windows 7, tha backup failed at the end ...

I get this error in the job log file : 22/04/2015 16:17:19 :: Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy16]. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy16]. Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [41746]. Failed to download disk.

I don't understand this error ...

Can you help me ?

Thank you
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Error during first backup

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Iceman74,
For an error like this please open a support case via Endpoint Control Panel > Support > Technical Support and let us know the case ID. Thanks
shifto
Novice
Liked: never

Post by shifto »

Did you get any feedback on this? I'm also encountering this on one WinServ 2008 R2 machine. Or should I also open a ticket? Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

shifto,
Yes, please, open a case - since we did not receive the case ID from the topic starter we don’t have any feedback for now. Once you got the case ID do not forget to post it to this thread. Thanks.
Iceman74
Novice

Post by Iceman74 » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

My case numer is Case # 00888724

I have run the victoria analyser software has requested (a CHKDSK failed to repair HDD) and the soft has find some problem and repair them.

I have relaunch the complete backup and waiting the final result ... ! W8 & see :mrgreen:
deebee
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David B

Post by deebee » 1 person likes this post

I had a very similar error to this when I tried backing up a laptop that had Pointsec Full Disk Encryption installed.

After removing the Pointsec encryption and switching it to Bitlocker, it all worked fine.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the updates guys! I am still curious about the logs analysis from our side, so let’s wait for support response.
Iceman74
Novice

Post by Iceman74 » 1 person likes this post

For my case seems that some bad error on the HDD cannot be repair :( , here the support response :

"Unfortunately in your case we cannot do nothing. because your disk have bad blocks, that cannot be fixed by low-level software(Victoria HDD). Veeam EndPoint Backup is not allowed to skip this bad blocks by design, because there are possibility to ruin your whole disk. The workaround is to change your HDD to the brand new one or HDD without bad blocks"

Thanks to the Veeam support to have help me for this problem ! :D
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Baptiste,

You got to love these guys ;-). Although it is sorry that your specific problem isn't fixed because of faulty HW...

Cheers

Mike
Iceman74
Novice

Post by Iceman74 »

Hi Mike no problem, i really thanks Veeam support to have help me for try to find a solution, it wasn't a joke !

Best regards,
zaf
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim Fournet

Post by zaf »

Iceman74 wrote:For my case seems that some bad error on the HDD cannot be repair :( , here the support response :

"Unfortunately in your case we cannot do nothing. because your disk have bad blocks, that cannot be fixed by low-level software(Victoria HDD). Veeam EndPoint Backup is not allowed to skip this bad blocks by design, because there are possibility to ruin your whole disk. The workaround is to change your HDD to the brand new one or HDD without bad blocks"

Thanks to the Veeam support to have help me for this problem ! :D
Because is a drive has bad blocks, it's not a good idea to back up its data? :shock:
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

In current version while drive returns the bad block error during backup VEB will stop the job to avoid further disk corruption.