Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
cfvonner
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Carl Von Stetten

Backups Fail writing to Veeam B&R Repository

Post by cfvonner »

I just updated my Veeam B&R 8.0 server to update 2 to add support for VEB. I installed the final 1.0 release of VEB on both a desktop PC and a laptop (Dell Precision M4700 connected to docking station with wired ethernet connectivity). I have a repository created specifically for VEB to use, and have a domain account I use for the VEB credentials. I was able to configure both computers to point to the Veeam repository and create backup jobs. However, when the jobs run, they fail with "Error: Completion timeout occured". If I go browse the folder on the Veeam server where the repository sits, I can see job-specific folders and the .vbm files inside. While the job is running, I can also see a .vbk (I think) created, but it disappears when the job fails.

Any idea what is wrong?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Backups Fail writing to Veeam B&R Repository

Post by Mike Resseler »

Carl,

Did you set the permissions on the repository?

Thanks

Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Mike is asking about this setting, for your convienice here is the link > http://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/10 ... sions.html
cfvonner
Enthusiast

Post by cfvonner »

Yes, I did set the permissions. I also went back and changed the permission to "Everyone", but that still didn't work. For the moment, I switched the backup to write to a network share (which is actually on the same server as the repository I'm trying to use) - writing to network share works fine.

-Carl V.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Carl,

In that case, please try to change the setting again, then take the backup and create a case so our support can look at the logs.

Post the case ID here and keep us informed

Thanks

Mike
cfvonner
Enthusiast

Post by cfvonner »

The case number is 00891991.

Thanks,
-Carl V.
cfvonner
Enthusiast

Post by cfvonner »

I changed the laptop backup to use network share too (for now). It is backing up strangely slow. This is a Precision M4700 with two SSDs (one SATA, one mSATA), docked (so on external power and a wired 1Gb network connection). I'm seeing throughput of 2MB/s right now, whereas I saw 59MB/s from my desktop PC.

Not sure what to think.
-Carl V.
cfvonner
Enthusiast

Post by cfvonner »

OK, speed improved at some point. I just looked again after it finished backing up the C: drive and the listed read rate was 23 MB/s. It's currently reading the D: drive at 34 MB/s.
-Carl V.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Carl,
Regarding the VBR I suggest to wait for the logs investigation results. As for the shared folder target – could you double check that wireless network is not used during backup (possibly, disable it during your tests)? Additionally, you can disable backup throttling in the Control Panel > Settings – it should give you visible performance improvement.
Logan_Wolverine
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Franck

Post by Logan_Wolverine »

Hi guys,

I have exactly the same issue.
I'm running Veeam 8.0.0.2021 B&R on the server side and 1.0.1.1954 Endpoint BAckup. Both in eval mode.
I was very interested by Endpoint. It works super fine with a network share on a Synology NAS. But as soon as I integrated it with B&R it failed with the connection time out.
It keep retrying again and gain and fails.
The idea of having the device endpoint bakcup jobs known by B&R server is great for an infrastructure lead. But as of now it does not work.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Franck,
But as soon as I integrated it with B&R it failed with the connection time out.
You mean you were able to point endpoint backup job to the VBR without any issues - all credential checks and repositories were populated successfully? Could any firewall or router between Endpoint and VBR cause connectivity issues? Is the Endpoint PC accessible from the VBR machine?
Logan_Wolverine
Novice

Hello Dima,

yes my end device successfully registered to VBR. I'm used the Admin credentials on the server side and I see the job in the backup section of VBR. And Admin account as full permission on backup repository (as far as I can tell).
I'm in my corporate network. I don't know if another firewall could be the issue. But I don't think so. First I could do the same with my NAS and no issue. Second the firewall on the VBR server is disable.

here is something new: Is the Endpoint PC accessible from the VBR machine? Could you explain ? What is required on the endpoint PC so that it can communicate in both ways?

Franck
Logan_Wolverine
Novice

I don't want to mix up the post but another to note. When I created my endpoint job, endpoint was not able to see backup repository I created. Only the one created by default by VBR.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Logan, that means you didn't set the permissions on your repository... See http://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/10 ... sions.html
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Logan_Wolverine wrote:endpoint was not able to see backup repository I created. Only the one created by default by VBR.
Yes, the only difference that can cause this is the permissions list configured on the backup repository. Can you confirm that have the same security settings on the repositories?
Logan_Wolverine
Novice

ok it is was a permission issue. Let's stick to the original issue. I'm running extra test with my own defined repo to see if theire is any difference with the default one created by VBR.
Logan_Wolverine
Novice

Hello,

the issue is the same with my user-defined repository (which is BTW on the same drive than the default VBR one, in a different folder).
Everything goes well on the PC side, you can see the backup process but at the end it fails with completion timeout error.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Frank,

Please create a support case and post the ID here for further investigation.

Thanks

Mike
Logan_Wolverine
Novice

Hello,

as of a new support ticket I think there already is one previously posted : The case number is 00891991. And my issue is the same. Disabling my computer firewall did not help out at all. This is a young product. Maybe update 3 is required :).
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Franck,
Since it is the issue and, generally, we do not troubleshoot or help to troubleshoot problems before case has been submitted here at the forums, kindly, open a personal support case. Then I can forward it directly to QA for investigation, as I’ve already done with the original case in Carl's post. Thank you in advance.
Logan_Wolverine
Novice

Hello,

here is my support case: 00911008.

Franck
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks Franck! We will investigate it.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Guys,
While support team is working on you cases I wanted to ask you to check what would happen if you configure the target repository as a shared folder destination for Endpoint backup job? Will the job fail with the same error?
cfvonner
Enthusiast

Post by cfvonner » 2 people like this post

Veeam support has confirmed that there is a minor bug in the current release of Endpoint Backup (EB) that causes the timeout issues when writing to a Veeam B&R repository. The fix will be in a future update. However, you can workaround the issue a couple of ways:
  1. Write to a CIFS share instead (you can create a Windows share on the same server Veeam B&R runs on, pointing to the same folder where the repositories are stored).
  2. Apply a minor registry hack to increase the timeout interval
If you choose to go the second route, here is the instructions from Veeam:
  1. Stop Veeam Endpoint Backup jobs and services temporarily (right click on the Veeam EB icon in the task tray and select Exit).
  2. Open Regedit.
  3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup.
  4. Add a new DWORD (32-bit value) key named ConnectByIPsTimeoutSec and set the value to 600 (decimal) to start (you may have to adjust this setting to a larger number if it doesn't work).
  5. Close Regedit.
  6. Restart Veeam EB (from the Start menu).
  7. Test the Veeam EB backup job on a Veeam B&R repository.
You may have to try larger timeout values until it succeeds. If that still doesn't work, contact Veeam support for further assistance.

-Carl V.
jshiflet
Influencer
Full Name: Jason Shiflet

Post by jshiflet »

Same problem here on multiple machines too.

Case ID 00902150

I'm going to try cfvonner's solution above and see if that helps and will report back.

UPDATE: Carl's tip on adding the registry key worked, however, it took just over 25 minutes for Endpoint Backup to finally get to the "X disk read at XXX MB/s" point, during which all of the timers on the individual steps stopped counting for periods ranging from 5-10 minutes, so the "Duration" values are VASTLY skewed from the Backup Duration counter.

Here's a screenshot:

--
jason shiflet
systems enginner
thule1291
Lurker
Full Name: S. Wegmann

Post by thule1291 »

Are there any News? Need to backup some Maschines to a Veeam Server..
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Thule,

See above for the workarounds. From the moment the update is ready we will release it but for now this is what can be done

Cheers

Mike
tomhkr
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Post by tomhkr »

I get the same error, "Error: Completion timeout occured" on my client computer running Veeam Endpoint Backup
Permissions are correctly set and the client is able to select the correct repository (a CIFS repo).
The Veeam Backup server has two NIC's, one public interface on the same network as the client resides (VLAN 1, 192.168.1.20) and a interface for the network where the storage repositories reside (VLAN 2, 192.168.2.20)

Looking at TCP connections on the client, the client makes most connections to the public interface 192.168.1.20 but also tries to communicate with 192.168.2.20 TCP port 2500.
Understandably this fails since the client is not allowed to access VLAN 2.

What did I set up wrong since it is behaving this way?

Edit: I tried the registry fix above.
Now the backup job appears to work!
But it takes 30 minutes before the job actually starts moving data. Meanwhile Veeam.Endpoint.Manager.EXE tries to connect to the wrong interface repeatedly.
tomhkr
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Post by tomhkr »

The Restore Files process (Backup browser) appears to suffer from the same problem, it tries contacting the wrong IP-adress until it reaches timeout. Could not restore anything.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Tom,

We are really interested in your logs so please create a support case and post the ID here (and follow-up) here

Thanks

Mike