Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Offsite copy?

Post by ashman70 »

I would like to extend a clients backup solution so that they have copies of their backup jobs offsite. They have three locations all connected via 10MB MPLS, and I think I know how to do this but I'd like to run it past you guys.

Site A is where the backup infrastructure resides, so at site B I will install Veeam B&R standard on a server and create a repository. I will then create a backup copy job at site A that points to the repository on site B.

Is there anything else I need to do? I have noticed that the default for backup copy jobs is to run all the time, I should perhaps change this?

Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Offsite copy?

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
If you configure VBR Server to be installed remotely from virtual infrastructure, it`s recommended to create backup proxy on the infrastructure site to perform local backups.
So, create a proxy on the site A, create backup job to backup VMs locally and backup copy job to copy those restore points to the site B.

You are correct backup copy job runs constantly, most of the time in idle state, waiting for a new restore point to appear on the source backup repository. There is no need to change it. Thanks!