Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bbricker
Enthusiast
Liked: 27 times

Multiple repositories?

Post by bbricker »

I recently setup some VB&R Copy jobs a couple weeks ago. After briefly reading/skimming through the admin guide section about Copy jobs, I apparently misunderstood how it would work and thought each Copy job would transform things regularly to keep only one VBK and then just store VIB changes for each archive restore point I asked for (last 6 days, last 4 weekends, the last 4 months, 1 annual). That was obviously wrong as I discovered a few days ago when my 14TB repo on the DR server started running out of space. I guess I can understand why the Copy process works that way since the risk of losing a single VBK that is a year old could spell disaster for the rest of the jobs in the chain. I will say I am disappointed, is there not a better way to scale out many restore points without keeping all these massive VBKs?

ANYWAY- the point to my question, I've run out of space on my new VB&R DR repo server. I figured, okay no problem, until I figure out a better solution, I'll just add a 2nd repo to the DR VB&R server, and tell the Copy jobs to use it. Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you tell a job to use multiple repos? I can only build max size 14TB LUNs on my DR SAN, so I've got 2 x 14TB LUNs/drives on the VB&R Windows DR server but can't see a way to get Veeam to utilize the 2nd one as needed. How do you scale repo size for backup/copy jobs where the first repo is not going to be able to satisfy it? Surely I am just missing a config setting or am not setting it up properly.
bbricker
Enthusiast

Re: Multiple repositories?

Post by bbricker »

...and yes I know I could just concatenate multiple LUNs from my SAN on the Windows server using Windows disk management, but that seems kind of janky and an extra layer to break. Hopefully there is a built-in solution within Veeam to scale out more repos? :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you tell a job to use multiple repos?
Single job can use single repository. You can copy existing backup files to a newly-created repository, and map your backup job to those files afterwards. Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
bbricker wrote:After briefly reading/skimming through the admin guide section about Copy jobs, I apparently misunderstood how it would work and thought each Copy job would transform things regularly to keep only one VBK and then just store VIB changes for each archive restore point I asked for (last 6 days, last 4 weekends, the last 4 months, 1 annual). That was obviously wrong as I discovered a few days ago when my 14TB repo on the DR server started running out of space.
Note, that backup copy jobs have 2 types of retention: Simple and GFS(historical). Simple retention applies to the most recent restore points and as you said contains 1 Full + Increments, while GFS retention works with historical backups which are all VBK file(full backups). That`s the reason why you have more data on your repositories than you thought.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

bbricker wrote:Hopefully there is a built-in solution within Veeam to scale out more repos? :)
Not at this time, but we are considering as a potential future enhancement.
bbricker
Enthusiast

Post by bbricker »

Thanks for the responses. How are people scaling out their backup storage using Veeam? What is the work-around? Just make multiple jobs/copy jobs that point at different repos and hope that I can correctly calculate the future space needed for each?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

That is correct. There are also Veeam ONE reports that help with capacity planning.