Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mcsmithSOP
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jason

Backing up a file server?

Post by mcsmithSOP »

Our company is switching from BE to Veeam for our virtual environment. The original plan was to continue to use BE for the physical servers. One of them is a WS 2012 R2 file server with approximately 2.5TB of data spread across multiple volumes on different arrays.

Is it recommended to use VEB in this situation?

I've read the user manual (twice), and the only downside I can see is having a very long backup chain based on 28 day retention policy.

Having suffered catastrophic array failure on a previous file server, I want to be absolutely sure that we will be able to recover specific volume(s) in case of failure.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backing up a file server?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

I do not foresee any issues if it is just a file server machine. During beta program we had one customer using VEB to backup/restore his file server and he didn't experience any issues with that.

Can you please clarify what the retention policy downside is?

Thank you!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

To give some more detail on what Vitaliy S. said. It indeed should not be a problem. We had a customer who did more than 15 TB. The thing that took long was the merge of an old recovery point that was past the retention.

That said, a few things you can think on:

* Why not put a shorter retention of a week, use a B&R repository and then use a backup copy job on that data to another repository or tape or... for a longer retention? If you are planning on following are known 3-2-1 rule, this could help you a lot and "offload" resources from your file-server to the backup server.

Mike
mcsmithSOP
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jason

Post by mcsmithSOP »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Can you please clarify what the retention policy downside is?
My understanding is that I would have one .vbk (full) and 27 .vib (incremental) files that would need to be restored. Maybe it's because we're still backing it up to tape and since I can't imaging having to grab a month's worth of tape for restore, I just need to wrap my head around D2D.
Mike Resseler wrote: * Why not put a shorter retention of a week, use a B&R repository and then use a backup copy job on that data to another repository or tape or... for a longer retention? If you are planning on following are known 3-2-1 rule, this could help you a lot and "offload" resources from your file-server to the backup server.
Thanks for the idea. This would make more sense (for this server) than keeping 28 days worth of data on the B&R reepository.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi mcsmithSOP,
... I just need to wrap my head around D2D
14 days of backups with forever incremental backup is the default for backup to disk jobs and the most preferable retention but you can make it even shorter :wink: