Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
potzuk
Influencer
Liked: never

Copy job woes

Post by potzuk »

Case ID : 00826480

Hi guys,

Just wondering if someone can point me in the direction of what I'm doing wrong here.

We have a fairly simple setup :

2x vmWare 5.5 hosts, 1 Dell EQL SAN all hooked up via separate iSCSI network
2x NAS boxes, one on the local LAN, one on the WAN

What I want to do is back up the VMs onto the LAN NAS, with a copy job also storing to the LAN NAS for archival backups (Monthly/Quarterly etc), with another copy job running to take less frequent copies to the WAN NAS so there's offsite cover. I thought the backup copy job is the one I needed but perhaps there's a better way, because at the moment I'm tempted to just set up a robocopy script to copy the backup files manually!

The backup jobs themselves are running fine, but the copy-jobs are causing no-end of email warning/failures, but mostly seem to be "Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval" or "Initial copy did not complete, and will resume on the next copy interval"

I've tried different permutations of start time, interval, selecting the VMs by infrastructure/backup/jobs but nothing seems to work. The only thing that seems to work is to create backup jobs rather than copies.

The other thing I've noted is that on the odd occasion where it does run, the files on the NAS are only 30MB, even when the backup job is between 200GB and 1.2TB?

Thanks in advance,

Tony
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Copy job woes

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Tony,

What is your "Copy every" interval configuration? Based on the message I can say that there is a lot of data to transfer for the initial seed and your job cannot do that with the defined interval.

Check out these existing topics for further reading > Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval

Thanks!
potzuk
Influencer

Post by potzuk »

Hi Vitaliy,

Thanks for responding.

I've tried a few permutations, but even on the smaller backup jobs (~100GB VBK) they've not had an effect.

The main backup jobs run daily starting at 2030 and the longest job completes around 0000, the LAN copy jobs are daily at 1am, the archival (WAN) copies at 6am. The WAN is a 1GB fibre to a neighbouring warehouse unit on the estate and was used by Veeam to back up to until recently with no problems.

I'd like to run them daily, or as soon as the backup completes but not having much joy it seems.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

So both backup copy jobs have "Copy every" configuration set to 1 day, but they start at 6 AM and 1 AM?
potzuk
Influencer

Post by potzuk »

Correct
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Have you tried doing initial seeding for these jobs? What is the performance of your backup copy jobs?
potzuk
Influencer

Post by potzuk »

I was just about to try disabling them all and doing a sync now on one of them.

Performance varies depending on the VM, but typically it's around 25-30MB/s. Some are target and some are source bottlenecked.
potzuk
Influencer

Post by potzuk »

A backup job can be copied more than once by two separate copy jobs can't it? The WAN copy job is saying that there are no new restore points, but the file on the NAS is dated 2 weeks ago...
potzuk
Influencer

Post by potzuk »

OK I think I may have got somewhere.

The backups were going to NAS3\Veeam, as were the local Backup copies. On a hunch I created a separate share (\VeeamArchives) and recreated the backup job and copy jobs and now things seem to be working.

I'll monitor it for a few days to make sure the retention is working and update this thread accordingly
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, it's required that source and target for backup copy job are represented by different repositories, because there is built-in mechanism preventing backup copy job from looking restore points in the repository that is specified as backup copy job target.
rganer
Novice
Full Name: Rodney Garner

Post by rganer »

Did you ever find out what causes this issue? I have the exact same problem with the inital backup not completing after creating a backup copy job. The backup copy job runs for about a min then stop and gives a warning saying initial copy not completed and leaves 30mb files after each attempt.

I run backup copy jobs to a different repository from my primary backups on a separate storage array connect to a separate server. I've tried creating several different repositories on that 2nd storage array and creating new backup copy jobs to them but I get the exact same warning and 30mb file.

I have had one backup copy job on that array work when I tested after first installing veeam and i have a successful backup copy job that runs through to cloud connect but cant seem to get a job to work currently to the 2nd storage array.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Rodney, I recommend contacting support for a closer look at your setup and logs review, if required.

Btw, how the regular backup job and backup copy job are scheduled?
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry »

I had this yesterday, was my fault. I had a current copy on a different drive letter ( left from testing ) I would run new job, 30 meg files to new disk and that's it. when I remove disk ( not part of repository just there ) alI worked as it should.