Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
cbaxter
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: chip baxter

Feature Request: Don't backup over VPN

Post by cbaxter »

I know this could be something hard to program. Essentially, don't send a backup to a network drive if your connection to said drive is over a VPN. Many people travel to odd places or tether through their phone data plan to get access to information back at the office. It would be great to have a toggle to not push extra data while this type of connection is alive.

Should be along the lines of checking for (Interface.OperationalStatus == OperationalStatus.Up) && (Interface.NetworkInterfaceType == NetworkInterfaceType.Ppp) (as seen here
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature Request: Don't backup over VPN

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Chip,

Are you basically referring to metered connection that should forbid backup jobs?

Thanks!
Homes32
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jonathan Holmgren

Post by Homes32 »

I can see this being the most flexible if left up to a pre-backup script.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

And meanwhile you can do that manually by disabling the scheduled backup jobs option in the control panel.
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Post by cffit » 1 person likes this post

I was about to post this same request. I'm working from home today over VPN on a DSL line. My backup that takes minutes to do in the office is going to take hours to do from home. I think rather than focus on it being over VPN though if there was a way to detect slower connections and then either not run, or prompt the user and say "You are on a slow connection right now. Do you want VEEAM to run backup or skip this time?". As stated above too, if someone is using their mobile data plan, this will eat up a lot of data for them.
cbaxter
Lurker
Full Name: chip baxter

Post by cbaxter » 1 person likes this post

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Chip,

Are you basically referring to metered connection that should forbid backup jobs?

Thanks!
Well, metered connections is just one example. As others have stated, you could be remote somewhere with a slow connection that could be easily saturated, in a foreign country where intercepting the data could be a great concern, etc.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Chip, thank for clarification. Detecting a VPN connection should be easy, just trying to find out other situations where backup job should be postponed for some time.
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Post by cffit »

My vote is the speed of the connection would be the most important factor. Basically if the connection between the computer and the VEEAM server is less than a certain amount. I think this should only run when on the local LAN personally unless you are backing up a very small amount of data. This would seem to be best set as an option that can be disabled for cases where people do want it to work over slow connections.
wvkreg
Enthusiast
Full Name: Wim van Kregten

[MERGED] feature request - choose of wired connection

Post by wvkreg »

I would like an option to be only be able to backup when connected through a wired (aka fast) connection.
Wireless is too slow for large backups. Hope this is possible
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

I suggest a check box similar to "backup only when computer is in the same subnet of the server", so we can avoid backup over VPN and backup over MPLS (when a notebook is in a different site than the server)

Cheers

Marco
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Marco,
I can remember I’ve discussed somewhere the possibility of adding VPN to the metered connections via native Windows tools and letting the ‘Disable the backup over metered connection’ Endpoint option handle the rest.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

Dima P. wrote:Marco,
I can remember I’ve discussed somewhere the possibility of adding VPN to the metered connections via native Windows tools and letting the ‘Disable the backup over metered connection’ Endpoint option handle the rest.
Thanks

IMHO the main issue with metered connection is that is only a feature of Windows 8 and above, so the huge Windows 7 base is left alone.
Plus, if I well understand metered connection features, is not feasible when a notebook move to a branch office connected via MPLS to the main office

Marco
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Valid point. Thanks Marco!
TroyResources
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: TroyResourcesLimited

Post by TroyResources » 1 person likes this post

Interesting points brought up here. With nomad users at various geo locations our offices are all connected via vpn tunnels and we leverage Silverpeak. Given the endpoint client could see remote repositories I'd only now considered how would I ensure that a user from one country plugging in at a remote site does not have backup kick in, mhh this is food for thought since detecting lan connection etc would not be a workable option in our scenario. That brings it down to defining what is my base or local office IP. Goid post. Got me thinking.
TommyB
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Post by TommyB »

Recently I ran into this issue as well - our main office is in Germany and one of our employees was working in Sweden via VPN when Endpoint Backup kicked in and started a backup cycle, completely saturating our 8 Mbit connection for hours.

I think Endpoint Backup should measure the connection speed and block backups if there is not at least x Mbit bandwidth - and "x" should be configurable.
guebert
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by guebert »

I'd also like to have such an option. Out notebooks connect via OpenVPN client --> this is "like" an ethernet connection, with can not be declared as "metered". So I have no chance to disable endpoint backups over it.

Mybe a setting like "never run backups over those connections": xxxx can be implemented?

Michael
rdorman
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ryan Dorman

Post by rdorman »

Being able to force an interface to be used or not used would solve a problem of mine. My backups are failing on one computer and It looks like its because at some point during the transaction it goes to the B&R repository reporting the correct IP but later in the process it identifies itself as the VPN address and the job fails.