Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

imported backup repository to tape

Post by lowlander »

Hi,

can we send an imported backup repository to tape ?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: imported backup repository to tape

Post by Dima P. »

Hi lowlander,

Yup, by using the repository as a source for backup to tape job. Additionally, you can use file to tape job and just select backup files.
lowlander
Service Provider

Post by lowlander »

Thanks,

I will try to explain. In our Main Office we host a Veeam backup server that does a copy of backup jobs to our secondary location. With a tape backup job we can select the copy repository on the secondary location and then tape it to the library that is @secondary location.

For branch offices we have a dedicated Veeam Server per BO. We do a copyjob to the secondary location where the library is located. To create a backup of this repository to tape we have to import this repository in the Veeam Backup Server on the Main Office. We do this with a pre script to rescan repositories. However the amount of data in this repository is 0, while you can select this repository.

What are the options for taping imported copyrepositories ? Is this expected behaviour, else this would be a nice feature request for future releases :)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

While I am checking your scenario with the QA team the file to tape jobs looks like a valid solution here. I’ll follow up shortly.
lowlander
Service Provider

Post by lowlander »

Thanks !
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you don't create dummy jobs and map them to those backups, backup to tape job won't archive them. Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Yup, it’s either using the file to tape job or creating the dummy jobs as Vladimir suggested. Imported backup files are not included into backup to tape job processing by design.
lowlander
Service Provider

Post by lowlander »

Can you explain the use of dummy jobs ?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The main idea to create required association between imported backup data and some backup jobs. Once the association is created, backup to tape job will be able to recognize the content of repository and archive it to tapes.
lowlander
Service Provider

Post by lowlander »

Great work around ! It works :)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. The regular repository rescan is still needed, however. Might be a good idea to set it as pre-job activity for a backup to tape job.
crazylefty
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matt Hart

Post by crazylefty »

lowlander wrote:Great work around ! It works :)
Sorry I know this is an old post.
Can you elaborate on the dummy job and mapped backup?
I've got 2 vCenters, each with its own Veeam B&R 9.5 instance backing up VMs to disk.
I've got one Veeam tape server and one tape library, no issues getting all VMs from site 1 to tape, but how do i create the dummy jobs and get site 2 VMs to tape?
I have backup copy jobs at both sites backup data to repositories at each other site (site 1 has backup copies to site 1 and 2, same for site 2, backup copies to site 1 and 2)
I'd like to get the site 2 repository at site 1 onto tape drive at site 1.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, my google-fu is coming up empty
Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

On site 1 you will need to:

- Create dummy (fake) backup jobs selecting whatever source you want to (leave unscheduled)
- Map the job to files created by the site2-to-site1 backup copy job
- Select the dummy job as a source for backup to tape job

Thanks.
crazylefty
Influencer

Post by crazylefty »

Wonderful, thanks so much!!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. By the way, is there any particular reason not to manage everything from a single console? The management overhead would be lower in this case. Thanks.
crazylefty
Influencer

Post by crazylefty »

Really just historical reasons. I've been toying with the idea of running everything from my main site, we've got 1G links between the two sites.
Even at this site we have a branch that has their own Veeam server for their own jobs, even though its all pulling from the same Nimble SAN.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

OK, got it. Since each environment can have set of local components, such as repository, proxy, etc. guaranteeing that traffic stays within a site, it might be worth orchestrating everything from single console to easier management headache. But the final decision is up to you, of course. Thanks.
woodrowl
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Lee Woodrow

Post by woodrowl »

Hi, we're having trouble setting this up correctly.

"Yup, by using the repository as a source for backup to tape job. Additionally, you can use file to tape job and just select backup files."

Can someone help explain the steps ELI5 please :?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Lee,

You need to create backup to tape job and select the entire repository as a source for such tape job at Backups step of the job wizard. Hope it helps, cheers!
woodrowl
Novice

Post by woodrowl »

Thank you Dima, that's what we're trying to do however https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110 the small print in Step 3. "Imported backups and configuration backups will be skipped from processing." means our imported job in the destination repository is skipped in our existing GFS tape job when added.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Lee,

My bad - somehow I've missed that you need to tape out 'orphaned' backup files. You can tape those out by running a file to tape job with backup files selected as a source. Add entire backup job folder, run file to tape job once. Hope that helps!
woodrowl
Novice

Post by woodrowl »

Thank you Dima, so I'd need to setup a totally new backup files to tape job, I couldn't add anything to my existing backups to tape job? What would be the cleanest method, I take it I can't add to my current GFS media pool and will need to run two and have a standard pool alongside my current tape export?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Lee,

Yup, that's the best workaround to achieve your goal - separate file to tape job to a simple media pool (unfortunately file to tape does not support GFS media pools so you have to create a regular one). Thanks!
thmir
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by thmir »

Dear All,
sorry, for summonizing this old thread, but we are facing the same problem and couldn't find the solution :)

We have two sites (Site1 and Site2) with their own VBR v11 servers.
On Site1 we do primary backups to disk and Backup Copy them to a repository on Site2.
On Site2 we would like to Backup to Tape these copyed files to a GFS media pool. This pool has prevoius backups from previous Backup (not Backup Copy) Jobs.

So according the previous solution, I made a dummy Backup Job in Site2 and tried to map the copyed data, but I can not select them, the list is empty.
Then I have created a dummy Backup Copy Job, where I could map the Copyed data to it. So it seems working.
But, when I create a new Backup to Tape job, and select this dummy Backup Copy Job from Backups, it's size is 0.
Therefore the Backup to Tape process after a few seconds of running says that "No new backup files per job settings", and stops. (Of course I ran a Repository Rescan before running the job)
I can see the full and the incremental backup files in the job, I am able to restore them, but i can't backup them to tape.

We would like to use GFS, Files to Tape is not an option yet.

What am I missing and how can it be fixed?

Thanks.
veremin wrote: Jul 25, 2017 10:27 am On site 1 you will need to:

- Create dummy (fake) backup jobs selecting whatever source you want to (leave unscheduled)
- Map the job to files created by the site2-to-site1 backup copy job
- Select the dummy job as a source for backup to tape job

Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

thmir,

Backup to tape processes only newly created restore points. If you've mapped the backup but restore points were not created by this particular job - backup to tape wont process the data. Is it possible to add tape sever to your main site B&R sever? You can have a tape proxy sitting at remote site with remote site's repository set as a target and the backup traffic will be isolated in the remote site's environment. While from B&R to tape only management traffic is required. Thanks!
VCFP
Novice

Post by VCFP »

Hi,

using VBR 10.0.1.4854 I restored VBK files from a tape (via HOME / Backup / Tapes) into a new repository.
The original jobs which created those files are a mix of type "Windows Agent Backup" and "Hyper-V Backup".

The restored VBK files appeared under "HOME / Backup / Disks imported" as expected. After creating the dummy
jobs and mapping the jobs to the imported VBK files everything moved to "HOME / Backup / Disks" and
"Disks imported" was gone.
The types of the dummy jobs should be correct, I could only map imported VBK files of type "Windows Agent Backup" or
"Hyper-V Backup" to a dummy jobs of the same type.

I created a new tape job and included all the dummy jobs in "Job / Backups". The sizes of the individual
jobs in the job dialog add up to the sum shown in the lower right corner under "Full:" and is about what I
expect the size to be.
So far so good.

After starting the tape job, ONLY the Jobs of type "Hyper-V Backup" were shown as "pending". Jobs of type
"Windows Agent Backup" did not show up.
If I remove the dummy jobs of type "Hyper-V Backup" from the new tape job, the tape job runs very fast :-( and
says "No new files to backup per job settings".
Using the whole repository instead of the individual dummy jobs does not change anything, only jobs
of "Hyper-V Backup" get processed.

What am I missing here?

Klaus
rome1423
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by rome1423 »

thmir wrote: May 30, 2022 11:38 am Dear All,
sorry, for summonizing this old thread, but we are facing the same problem and couldn't find the solution :)

We have two sites (Site1 and Site2) with their own VBR v11 servers.
On Site1 we do primary backups to disk and Backup Copy them to a repository on Site2.
On Site2 we would like to Backup to Tape these copyed files to a GFS media pool. This pool has prevoius backups from previous Backup (not Backup Copy) Jobs.

So according the previous solution, I made a dummy Backup Job in Site2 and tried to map the copyed data, but I can not select them, the list is empty.
Then I have created a dummy Backup Copy Job, where I could map the Copyed data to it. So it seems working.
But, when I create a new Backup to Tape job, and select this dummy Backup Copy Job from Backups, it's size is 0.
Therefore the Backup to Tape process after a few seconds of running says that "No new backup files per job settings", and stops. (Of course I ran a Repository Rescan before running the job)
I can see the full and the incremental backup files in the job, I am able to restore them, but i can't backup them to tape.

We would like to use GFS, Files to Tape is not an option yet.

What am I missing and how can it be fixed?

Thanks.
In Advanced Settings for GFS Tape Job:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
"Sometimes when the tape job starts there is no new daily backup on disk. Select the Process the most recent restore point instead of waiting check box if you want the tape job to copy the latest restore point instead of waiting. If this option is unselected, the tape job will wait for a new restore point."

Note sure if that will work, pls update here if you get it working, as I intend to do same thing.
If still doesn't work, I will have to use File to tape jobs.