Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
SASpursIT
Lurker
Liked: never

Restoring Surface 3 error

Post by SASpursIT »

I am testing the feasibility of endpoint backing up some Surface3 devices and then restoring them using bare metal restores. Backing up is going without a hitch and file level restores work great. On the Bare Metal restore though everything seems to go fine until it does the C: drive. it goes for a few seconds and then errors saying the it will restore what it says is 1.0 MB and then pops the error that the media is write protected. The device had bitlocker turned off and in the UEFI I have disabled the secure boot and still get the same error. Any help would be appreciated. Case #00948354
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Endpoint restoring Surface3 Error

Post by Gostev »

Our QC has one and tests on it a lot, so at least we can be sure that it's fully supported. We will take a look at your issue. Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

SASpursIT

Was Bitlocker / UEFI turned off during the backups? If not, please go back to the original situation. When you start BMR, you should get the option to unlock the drive

See here for more information: http://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/10/bitlocker.html

If this is not the case, then we have your case ID so we can look further into it. But the logs of that case-id, are those the logs collected from running the Veeam Recovery Media?

Thanks

Mike
SASpursIT
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by SASpursIT »

Bitlocker was OFF I am sure UEFI was on. The logs collected were from the restore process. I have tried with with TPM enabled and disabled and secure boot enabled and disabled and all combinations of the two and it always errors out at 1.0 MB. on C:. the other partitions restore fine. I have even removed the partition in Recovery and readded it ending up the same way.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

SASpursIT,

Thanks for the information. Can you please also put the logs on a cloud storage like dropbox or similar and share the link with Dima P. from these forums? It might be that the logs aren't uploaded with the automatic system when you create a support case through the UI.

Thanks

Mike
Bopp
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by Bopp »

I have the same Issue here.

Was there a solution for this Problem?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

OPs ticket was closed due to no response, will try to check that again with the QA tomorrow. Meanwhile, can you please open a support case too and post your support ticket number for future readers?
Bopp
Influencer

Post by Bopp »

Hi Vitaliy, thanks for Response. Will do that first tomorrow morning.
Bopp
Influencer

Post by Bopp » 1 person likes this post

Hi Vitaliy, Case# is 01106305.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Bopp,

Thanks for submitting the case! To clarify, were you prompted for an existing volume replacement or unlock like on a screenshot below?

Bopp
Influencer

Post by Bopp »

Hi Dima,

no, I wasn't shown a promt like that.
I was forced to use advanced recovery because automatic mapping wasn't possible.
It's possible, that I used a "old" recovery media (GA-Version).
The VEB on the Surface 3 was Up2Date.

What I noticed:
The Volume C from the Backup was slightly bigger, than the volume C on the SSD.

I also tried to force the Disk-Map from the Backup to the current Disk - worked with every partition exept for Volume C.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Bopp,

Can you performed a manual bare metal restore of the volume C once again? If it fails please open the backup location – restore logs should be placed in the same folder where backup file resides. Then please share the log with me (dropbox, google drive or any other public file hosting works) – we will check you logs with QA team.
Bopp
Influencer

Post by Bopp »

Hi Dima,
Will have a look on Monday, if there is still a log available.
Had to reinstall the surface 3 from scratch already, as the boss could not wait until this issue is fixed.
If there are still logs from my several trys to recover the device, I will send them to you.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks! We checked the logs and here are the options from out QA department:

- Unlock all the existing volumes under the OS(disabling the Bitlocker might be a good idea since it might protect even unallocated disk space)
- You can run disk part clean all within the OS (I bet this could be done via Recovery Media as well) and then perform a bare metal recovery
Bopp
Influencer

Re: Restoring Surface 3 error

Post by Bopp »

Hi Dima,
- Unlock all the existing volumes under the OS(disabling the Bitlocker might be a good idea since it might protect even unallocated disk space)
I should disable bitlocker during the backup-timeframe? Or what do you mean?
- You can run disk part clean all within the OS (I bet this could be done via Recovery Media as well) and then perform a bare metal recovery
I tried diskpart within Recovery-Media OS to delete Volume C:. But it didn't help at all. I also tried to overwrite the existing Partition Table with the one from the Backup - no success. I confirmed btw. that Bitlocker was indeed activated during Backup-Time - but I didn't get a Message or Warning, that there was a Bitlocker Partition at all.

I will try again, when another Surface 3 dies.

Thanks for help.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for the heads up. The main idea is to clean the disk layout (instead of just deleting the volume): your Surface device may have a factory partition which remains locked even though you’ve deleted the system volume, so either disabling Bitlocker or diskpart with clean all prior recovery saves the day. Let me know how it goes next time you perform a recovery. Cheers!
clipper87
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Frank B

Post by clipper87 »

Had the same issue with bare metal recovery on my surface pro 3 (w10): it all worked flawlessly when I first used it on a single partition install (only drive C) , next I reinstalled the SP3 and created 3 partitions, next I decided to restore the previous single partition image (c drive only) and that failed with the same error although I did a manual restore & erased the disk within the veeam tool. Diskpart clean did not help. I reinstalled a single partition configuration, recreated a recovery media + made a backup. Now it works again. beats me. Testing takes a lot of time & for now all works again as expected for me but something is going on here so I thought I'd just let you know.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Frank,

Sometimes you need to manually unlock the target drive like described in this article.