Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
myesko
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Yesko

Reducing vCpu on replication site

Post by myesko »

This might be a simple question but cant find an answer searching for it yet, probably how im wording the question

We are getting a new server that we are going to use for backup copy repository. Basically just a 2012 server with a share on it and we will have backup copy jobs go to it. But i was thinking i could technically install the free version of VMware Esxi on there, create a 2012 server VM for my Backup repository jobs and also use it to Replicate 3 or 4 important VM's as well for DR with Veeam Backup & Replication.

However the server we are getting isnt as powerful as the ones we have at our main site. So i was wondering once the initial replication of the jobs happen, can i just go into the vmware client and reduce the amount of memory and vcpu each vm has? Granted i know i can do this, I guess the better question is, when it does another replication job, will it change the memory and cpu back to what the originating VM has, or freak out that it sees different memroy and cpu then the original vm?

Just as an example, we have a web server that has 8 vCpu's and 8 gigs of memory in production. It really only needs 8 during certain times of the day.
But on the offsite replication server i would prefer to only have 2 or 4 vCpu's and 4 gigs of memory. This way i can power on the vm and test it to make sure its working fine without really effecting performance on the server.

Hopefull that makes sense.
Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Reducing vCpu on replication site

Post by foggy »

Mike, free ESXi is not supported as replication target.
myesko
Influencer

Post by myesko »

I thought it was, but if not I can look into just getting the standard license for one server. If I can get the license would I be able to reduce the vcpu and memory on the replicated VM's
thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I think you should be able to do that via vSphere Client. The idea here would be to do that during failover operations, because VMs in powered off state do not consume CPU resources.
myesko
Influencer

Post by myesko »

My worry is testing the servers. We are giving our servers allot of memory and cpu, probably allot more then needed, but thats another topic:)
So yes, normally they will be off. But once in a while for testing i will need to power all 3 VM's up as they work together. So i dont want them to each have 8vcpu and 8 gigs memory when i test them. For one the server wont have enough memory for that.

Technically i can just use the vSphere client to reduce them before powering them on, but im wondering what happens when Veeam does another replication. Will it keep those new settings i gave them, or will it change them back to whats on our production site? Or for that matter will it see a difference in them and error out?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Changes will be overwritten during next replication cycle.
myesko
Influencer

Post by myesko »

ok, so in my case, everytime i test ill have to make sure i change the cpu and memory before powering on, and in the case of actually having a disaster ill need to change it accordingly.
Thanks for all the replies
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi Myesko,

There is also an option to script changes ion VM's settings via editing the .vmx file.

I believe you might find these articles helpful: one, two

Thank you.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

UPDATE:

There is also an easier way to edit VM settings.