Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Tape and Off Host Proxy

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I was told that in order to do copy jobs off to tape, the tape drive and the Veeam server had to be physically connected. What if I run a Hyper-V guest that is the Veeam server and connect a physical Off host proxy machine to the tape drive, would that allow me to utilize the tape drive? Or do I need the actual Veeam server physically connected to the tape drive? If that is the case then I assume no configuration using tape would be virtualized in a cluster. Any clarification would be helpful!

Cheers!
VMCE v9
4c7
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: 4c74356b41

Re: Tape and Off Host Proxy

Post by 4c7 » 1 person likes this post

If you manage to virtualize a server accessing tape you can go for it (I'm pretty sure you won't be able to do that with Hyper-V, but you can do that with VMWare if you present a physical HBA to a virtual machine exclusively). But you can connect any physical server to a tape drive and install Veeam agent on it (Veeam agent will "talk" to the tape). So that means "yes" and "no" depending on what you call Veeam server. You don't have to install Veeam Backup and Replication on a server for it to "talk" to tape, but you have to install Veeam agent instead.

If I understand your idea of design properly: short answer is Yes. Long answer is above.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Ok, for clarification when I said Veeam server I was referring to the actual Backup and Rep software, so as long as the agent is installed on a physical machine it will work. That is what I needed clarified.

Cheers!
VMCE v9
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, it will work as long as the said server has a tape server role installed on it. Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

gent is installed on a physical machine it will work
...physical Windows machine :wink: