Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
MikeBrunner
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Brunner

Backup Monitoring

Post by MikeBrunner »

Hello,

as an IT-Outsourcing Company we are supporting many IT-Inftrastuctures from our customers (On Permise).
In the most cases we are also responsible for there backup.

As you all know, it is not easy to Monitor many different backups for success/failures. Of course you can send verification mails after Jobs including the Job result or generating
reports and send them also via mail to check the Status of the backup.

In the practice, our Helpdesk staff will get an email whether a Job ist ok or not. If you check them all with man power, you have alot to do!
On the other side it is very dangerous to Close such 'success' Messages with a Helpdesk Tool. There is a risk, that you will miss something.
And what happend if the Report somehow will not be sent? Or how can you handle if there are more then one mail sent from one Customer?
How does the Helpdesk stuff know huch much mails with Job Status 'Ok' should arrive....?

For use it would be much easier if we could Access our Veeam Installation 'Cutomer On Permise' with VeeamOne and Veeam Enterprise Backup Manager via SSL.

Imagine you would have a Veeam One Dashboard connecting via SSL (just adding some Firewall rules on both side) to your customers showing the health of your backup infrastrucutre at one glance!

.....any plans going into this direction?

Kind Regards,

Mike
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup Monitoring

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Mike,

There is a Backup Jobs Status Widget in the Veeam Backup Infrastructure Dashboard where you can check the jobs` statuses of the added VBR servers.
Is it what you are looking for? Thanks!
MikeBrunner
Novice

Post by MikeBrunner »

Hi Nikita,

thanks for your reply!

The Problem for me is, that I have alot of customers where we Support there IT-Infrastructure. I would like to install VeeamOne and Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager once as a central Management console on my infrastructure
and connect to customers Veeam installations without the need of building up a VPN tunnel.
It would be very cool, if VeeamOne and Backup Enterprise Manager would be able to talk to remote infrastructure without the need of beeing connected via VPN.

In this case it would be easy for me to manage all the remote infrastructure off our customers

Correct me, may I'm wrong. The Veeam Backup Infrastructure Dashboard doesn't not work, if VeeamOne is not in the same LAN or if there is no permanent VPN Connection?

Mike
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

This is indeed currently not advised to do.

You can use tools like LabTech or Kaseya for this (we have plugins for VBR there). Another option would be to send SNMP traps after each backup job has run towards a device in your location and work with this.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Mike,

I agree with you that there is a need for such capability. Internally we do have some discussions around that, but I cannot disclose any details yet. BTW, do you use Cloud Connect today when you offer backup as a service to your clients?

Thank you!
MikeBrunner
Novice

Post by MikeBrunner »

Hi Vitaliy,

thanks for your reply. Yes we are using CloudConnect to offer BaaS. At the moment we run it with some customer in a pilot but I'm postitiv to bring it on production.
The methode Veeam CloudConnect connecting to a Cloud Repository via SSL, brought me to the question whether Veeam One could use a similar way to connect to customer installations via SSL.
This would make our life much easier in monitoring the backup of customers infrastucture and of course it would also be one thing more, where Veeam could outpace other backup solutions!

Thank you
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Apart from backup monitoring capabilities what would you like to see in the solution (BaaS) that you're planning to offer? How are you going to do billing for your clients?
MikeBrunner
Novice

Post by MikeBrunner »

with CloudConnect, we are not able to use the backup to tape Option. this is a realy a pain in the neck for us, as we have customers wich would like to see there backups on tape.
So we have the possibility to use file to tape, which is more or less a workaround and not very comfortable.
Or we install another Veeam instance with an Veeam B&R Enterprise license to use backup to tape. But of course, this is more expensive and much more complex.

Don't Forget, it is not easy for us as a small Partner to be competitve in pricing with the big Players .....

CloudConnect in Enterprise Version to use backup to tape, would be great
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hmm.. so customers who don't have any tapes would like to send their backups to your datacenter/cloud and in addition to this offload backups to tape? Did I get it right?

As regards my last question, do you charge per GB or you have a fixed rate for providing backup as service?