Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
theJonson
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James Hall

External Drive not being backed up

Post by theJonson »

I've been testing Veeam Endpoint to backup my home workstation, and have stumbled either a problem, or possibly a feature request.

I'm using a PC with a Drobo 5D attached via USB 3.0, however regardless of job type (entire computer, volume or file) it will not allow me to include it in a job, it will let me specify the Drobo as a target.

So is this a bug, or should this be a feature request to allow endpoint to backup a USB 3.0 attached volume.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: External Drive not being backed up

Post by Dima P. »

Hi James,
Feature request - external devices are skipped from processing by design. Thank you for the heads up!
walter.longhi
Lurker

[MERGED] Feature request: backup local attached USB disk

Post by walter.longhi »

Hello, I'm testing your product because I'm searching for a backup product that will solve the problem to backup my data that usually I save on external USB disk attached to my laptop.
Standard HD capacity of laptop is often not sufficient to store all our data (photos, videos, etc.), so I think that most of us use external USB HD to store their data.
So I think that it would be very useful if the software will be able to backup data from USB HD attached to the pc, and backup them to another USB disk.
I hope that you will implement my request.
Best regards,
Walter
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Currently it is not possible, however if you would like to backup any other external data (stored not on the local drives), you may want to use this workaround > Feature Request - Backup Mapped Drive
Jan1
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

[MERGED] Mapped drive and external drive

Post by Jan1 »

Hey,

Is there any chance to have possibility to backup mapped drive and external USB drive in GA ?

Regards

Jan
marco.horstmann
Veeam Software
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Marco Horstmann

Re: Mapped drive and external drive

Post by marco.horstmann »

Hi Jan,

would you like to provide my colleagues some information why this could be a useful feature?

I could imagine that network shares could be difficult because we use Microsoft VSS for creating
our backups and a CBT component to make incremental backups possible.

Regards
Marco
Marco Horstmann
Senior System Engineer @ Veeam Software

@marcohorstmann
https://horstmann.in
VMware VCP
NetApp NCIE-SAN for 7-Mode and Clustered Ontap
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can back it up if the volume is exposed via iSCSI to the Endpoint machine, other than that backing up these volumes currently is not possible.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jan,
Is there any chance to have possibility to backup mapped drive and external USB drive in GA ?
External drives are filtered from the backup sources on the job level. Is there a use case behind your request?
Jan1
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by Jan1 »

Hello,

Yes, that is my request. Thank you for your interest.

Jan
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jan,

Thanks for the heads up. Your request is carefully noted and will be discussed with the team.
march
Lurker

Post by march »

+1
My laptop contains a main drive but I have replaced the DVD drive by a removable SSD drive. EndPoint can backup both (even if Windows consider it as removable). However, my external USB drive (Archives) is not included and cannot be back up as a volume.
It would be cool to backup all drives visible by windows.
Marc
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Marc,
Good request, thanks. I wonder what type of data is stored your external device?
IDATAAB
Influencer
Full Name: Jeff Wilson

Post by IDATAAB »

I too was extremely disappointed to find that I am unable to backup data on my external USB hard drives. I have two Seagate external USB 3.0 Hdds that I keep all of my files on (documents, pictures) on one and the second drive is empty for just backup. The C:\ drive on my laptop is only the OS.

Yes Endpoint backup does a **GREAT** job backing up the physical OS disk of my computer, but that it does not support backing up attached external drives is a fail.

I'll keep using Endpoint to protect my OS disk, but guess I am back to using good old Windows backups to protect my files.

Come on guys! This is definitely something people want! Hope it is an added feature soon.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jeff,

Thanks for your voice! The more people push for requests, the bigger it has a change to get in ;-)

Thanks again

Mike
mcsuran23
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mat

Post by mcsuran23 » 1 person likes this post

I would like to voice my support to get this feature added. That would make this program even better! Thanks for making an awesome product!

Mat
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks guys - you votes counted. So let’s say we are backing us files and such from external devices, what are you going to use as a destination repository then?
DaStivi
Service Provider
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

[MERGED] Backup System from USB Storage

Post by DaStivi »

Hi, i need to backup (p2v) a Client HDD from a faulty device, i've attached the disk via an sata2usb dongle and veeam endpoint does not show these partitions now to use it as source volume!! is there any trick or something else so that i can create a backup of these volumes!??

btw, i also can't select files from this drives via the file backup option...

thx
steve
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Steve,

External drives are, indeed, not visible to Veeam Endpoint Backup, please review this topic for more details.

P.S. if you can present this device via iSCSI, then it should be possible to back it up.
TroyResources
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: TroyResourcesLimited

[MERGED] Formal feature request - Backup USB Drives

Post by TroyResources » 1 person likes this post

I'm quite sure that VEB has been more of a success than Veeam expected hence the flood of feature requests.

Personally even if this became a chargeable product most businesses will pay for this product.
The integration with backup repository is the killer feature.
I've restored a test system from a laptop onto a desktop and different laptop and it worked you know in that weird emergency situation moment :twisted:

Feature request backing up attached storage.

My example 20 road warriors with anywhere from 2TB to 6TB data they need on the road.
These guys manually do use Beyond Compare to sync data to local central servers, then DFS moves this data to other servers globally.
USB Drives they use have fixed drive letters so no worrying about automatic drive letter assignment. (although that's not a huge deal)

What I want to see is the ability to backup these drives when staff are in office.
I've used other backup solutions to tackle this and although they work, it not the kind of integration that VEB could offer.

I'm sure there are a lot of other people out there with this same request, if there are please reply to this thread to gain support for this feature in version 2.x ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, this is a pretty popular feature request, thanks for your kind words on the existing version.
dbain
Novice
Full Name: Daniel Bain

Post by dbain »

I also would like to voice my support to have this feature added.
TroyResources
Enthusiast
Full Name: TroyResourcesLimited

Post by TroyResources »

@Vitaliy, many thanks glad this request is breaking water. Looking forward to V2.x !
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Mat,
Thanks for the feedback – any word on how you are going to use this feature in your environment? For instance, what backup destination is going to be used for keeping the backed up USB drive?
vnavna
Influencer
Full Name: Steve Vujnovich

Post by vnavna »

Being able to backup an external USB connected or ESATA connected hard drive would be awesome. Please include that in the future release.
Along with that it would be great to be able to do a cold backup with the bootable device.
Thank you
Brendan_CSEL
Novice
Full Name: Brendan O'Reilly

Post by Brendan_CSEL »

+1 for this request. I have a Surface Pro and use a MicroSD card "permanently" installed to give some extra storage for documents some application data. It's a pain having to manage backups for that separately.

By the way, we use Veeam proper for all of our servers and it's great!
sibinsam
Veeam ProPartner
Full Name: Sibin Sam

Post by sibinsam »

+1 for feature to backup removable drives
IDATAAB
Influencer
Full Name: Jeff Wilson

Post by IDATAAB »

I voted for this earlier and am very glad you guys are taking notice! In my case I have two 2TB external USB drives - want to backup the local HDD of my laptop and one of the external drives I use for storage by using the second external drive as the target. Thats my explanation of what I'm backing up (Source) and where I want to backi it up to (Destination)

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jeff,

Would you like to keep the USB volume backup forever or should it be rotated same way as a regular internal disks? Thanks.
harrym
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Harry Manesiotis

Post by harrym »

Hello everyone,

Please let me add a scenario where backing up a USB volume makes sense.

I have some clients that do video editing from simple to 4K. This is a simplified example: They have an SSD drive C: where they do most of their editing work with (assets, video files, sound files, etc.). Once they finalize and finish their project, they move the file and assets for the client to an external USB 3.0 hard drive, say, drive X:. They also have another USB 3.0 hard drive for backup called Z:

VEEAM can backup the C: drive to Z: but cannot backup the C: drive AND the X: drive to Z:

Fast storage costs money and it makes sense for them to store their completed work on the slower hard drives to free up space for the SSD drive or drives for when it counts. Even for small videos the raw footage can add up to a lot especially if the client wants another one, more changes, etc.

In this case, it would be nice to have an option to treat drive X: as an internal.

I appreciate your constant support and really enjoy the software.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi, everyone. Just wanted to confirm that this feature is planned and will be coming in the future releases. One of the driving use cases for me personally is backing up the content of SD card sitting in my own Surface 3 ;)