Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
beflo87
Novice
Liked: never

Collected transaction logs do not match any existing full da

Post by beflo87 »

Hi,

we're havening some problems with our SQL Transaction log backup.
The first full backup ran without any problems, but the scheduled Transaction log backup Shows up the error "Collected transaction logs do not match any existing full database backup".
The database shows in the report as protected and could be restored to the date of the full backup.
Does anybody maybe knows what the problem could be?

Thanks for your help
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Collected transaction logs do not match any existing ful

Post by veremin »

Can you tell us how both guest processing and SQL processing settings look like? Thanks.
beflo87
Novice

Post by beflo87 »

Guest processing is set to "require successful processing" and "process Transaction logs with this Job".
SQL processing is set to "Backup logs periodically: 30 minutes"

SQL Server ist Version 2008R2. With other SQL Server and the same Settings we have no Problem.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Have you recently made any changes to the database you're backing up? State changes etc.?
AJ83
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by AJ83 »

We are also having strange behaviour of VSS backup of SQL server in v8.
Since the upgrade this week, our SQL servers show SQL events login failure for the administrator account configured in Veeam to use. Why would it try to login on SQL? We have Transactionlog processing disabled, so it is set to perform copy only.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

And Application Aware Processing is enabled, isn't it? If so, the situation looks expected, as some communication with VSS-aware application is still needed to freeze its activity prior to backup. Thanks.
beflo87
Novice

Post by beflo87 »

Sorry for the late answer.
We made noch changes to the database after the last Full Backup.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I suggest contacting technical support as it is hard to say something without reviewing the logs.
nholman
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Nick Holman

Post by nholman »

im seeing this with our availabilty group backup also. have had to open a support case it just makes no sense to me.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

So, what was the result of support investigation? Was support engineer able to find the root cause of the experienced behaviour?
blackforce
Novice

Post by blackforce »

We are also seeing this error. We have logged a case with Support
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Can you provide your case number here for convenience of future readers? Thanks.
JaYaKaAzZ
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Artur Schneider

Post by JaYaKaAzZ »

I have the same Problem on a customer Environment ... I watched the SQL Webinars 1 to 3 and they said you have to make more than 1 full backup before the Transaction Log Backup starts working... i made a full backup and a incremental backup and still have this error message... in the webinar they also said you have to disable all native and third Party Tools.. we done this too ...

Is there a Resolution ???
JaYaKaAzZ
Influencer

Post by JaYaKaAzZ »

I just saw a strange behavior ... this error message appears still but i tried to make a Point in Time recovery and i was able to set Backup to each Log Event between full backup and incremental backup ....

p.s. dont know if the data is consistent when i recover to a SQL log Moment...but its possible to choose any time between full bkp and incremental
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Artur, I do not see any support case number in this thread to check for the resolution, so please contact support directly.
JaYaKaAzZ
Influencer

Post by JaYaKaAzZ » 1 person likes this post

I opened a Case 00915509

Will inform about the results...

Best Regards
JaYaKaAzZ
Influencer

Post by JaYaKaAzZ » 1 person likes this post

So here is a update

In my Case there were some strange translating errors in the Transaction Log Backup Log :) because the SQL Server was installed in German Language as the whole environment.

Code: Select all

[13.05.2015 09:28:13] <27> Error    Manche oder alle Identitätsverweise konnten nicht übersetzt werden. (System.Security.Principal.IdentityNotMappedException)
[13.05.2015 09:28:13] <27> Error       bei System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(IdentityReferenceCollection sourceAccounts, Type targetType, Boolean forceSuccess)
[13.05.2015 09:28:13] <27> Error       bei System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(Type targetType)
[13.05.2015 09:28:13] <27> Error       bei System.Security.AccessControl.CommonObjectSecurity.ModifyAccess(AccessControlModification modification, AccessRule rule, Boolean& modified)
[13.05.2015 09:28:13] <27> Error       bei System.Security.AccessControl.CommonObjectSecurity.AddAccessRule(AccessRule rule)
[13.05.2015 09:28:13] <27> Error       bei Veeam.Backup.Core.CSqlBackupTransportUsage.TryUse(ISqlBackupTransport transport)
[13.05.2015 09:28:13] <27> Error       bei Veeam.Backup.Core.CSqlConveyorAcquireProxyOperation.AcquireTransport(ISqlBackupTransport[] transports, CSqlBackupLogManager logManager, CSqlDbBackupTask dbTask)
[13.05.2015 09:28:13] <27> Error       bei Veeam.Backup.Core.CSqlConveyorAcquireProxyOperation.DoExecute(CSqlConveyorCtx ctx)
The Colleagues from Support gave me few days later a hotfix, I had to replace some .dll files and now its working perfectly !

Thanks to Gabriela Aloyan great Support !
JXBold
Lurker
Full Name: Joerg Bold

Post by JXBold »

Hello,

same behavior at our customers site. It worked for once but then... We build the whole Veeam Backup Server new from scratch but with no effort. On the SQL Server Site it looks like that the Databases are backed up from Veeam.

Case 00932704.
Version 8.0 Build 2029

Regards...
ShallowTech
Lurker
Full Name: Michael Ryan Bedwell

Post by ShallowTech »

Does anyone have an update to this issue? We just started doing the SQL log backups and we are getting this error on some servers but not others. However, all servers were being backed up in the same jobs prior to enabling log backups.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Michael,

Unfortunately, the case is in German, so, I can't make sense of it. I'd recommend opening your own one and letting our support team investigate it directly.

Thanks.
AptlyBill
Lurker
Full Name: Bill

Post by AptlyBill »

Is anyone who is having this issue noted whether you get this message on the daily incremental backups: "SQL Server version used by the backup server is older than the one installed in this VM. Upgrade is recommended to avoid issues with application items restore." It does not generate a failure or warning, but is just listed in the log for the daily incremental of the server. I wonder if this can cause an issue with matching the transaction logs with the stored backup of the database. I am seeing the same issue as noted above with a server getting successful daily incremental backups, but the hourly SQL backups for that server get the error mentioned in this post.
LaurentZ
Novice

Post by LaurentZ »

I have the same issue since yesterday.
With Veeam B&R 8.0.0.2030, Full Backup OK, Incremental OK, and Transaction Logs every 60 minutes.
Everything worked well and suddenly, "Collected transaction logs do not match any existing full database" appeared on 1 database. Other db's still work.

I have open a case: 01004625

Thanks,
john.heimiller
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John Heimiller

Post by john.heimiller »

How do I tail this issue "01004625" so I get updates when action is taken....I'm new to Veeam and the Support interface.

We are getting this message as well but according to MSDB backup history the Database backups are being done. I am also able to restore to point in time using that tlog (and backup)....so its a bug.

Additionally, the message is inconsistent fro tlog backup to tlog backup...reports for some DBs one time and others the next...some log backups the message doesn't appear for any DBs....if it were true we would get it for every tlog backup for the same set of DBs until the next full Backup.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

John, your best bet is to open your own case. As mentioned above, hotfix for this issue is available, so contact technical support to verify whether this is the same issue and get the hotfix.
mobin.qasim
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mobin Qasim

Post by mobin.qasim »

Hi Guys,

Any update on the mentioned error? I was testing Logs Truncate periodically every 60 minutes and was getting the same error for a couple of databases. I'm using Veeam 8.0.0.2084 so after that error I had disable Log Truncate so it doesn't mess anything else.

Could someone please help me out here.

Cheers
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Have you already opened a support ticket? Thanks.
mobin.qasim
Enthusiast

Post by mobin.qasim »

Yes, one of the support team members is looking into this issue and I'll update here once he gets back to me.

Cheers
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Got it, kindly, keep working with the support engineer on addressing that, and update the topic, once the resolution is found. Thanks.
mobin.qasim
Enthusiast

Post by mobin.qasim »

I've native SQL Job setup which backups up DBs once a day, so if I disabled native job everything looks fine. This is what Veeam engineer said:

"According to the log files, transaction logs didn`t match the DB, so we`ve failed.

Unfortunately not much we can do in this situation and you can use only one backup solution, this limitation comes to us from Microsoft SQL server architecture, so we are able to use only matching logs to be able to restore from. And if you will backup SQL DBs using other solution logs and will be in a different state."

I've tested one thing so want to share it with you guys as I'm not a SQL expert. if I disable native job and let Veeam truncate logs periodically at configured interval everything looks fine. But as soon as you manually commit transactions using following query, it throws the same error.

begin tranwhile (select size from sysfiles where fileid = 2) <= 1024 update TestTable set a = replicate ('a',8000)gocommit tran

I had to disable logs truncate option as it didn't workout as I expected.

Regards,

Mobin
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The explanation provided by the engineer is valid, as only one solution can manage SQL logs. Having more than one application taking care about them would certainly lead to different failures, similar to the one reported in this thread. Thanks.