Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
-Nate-
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nate Christensen

Question on "remapping backup"

Post by -Nate- »

So I think one of our backups is not working right. I keep getting failed to flush change tracking data, using full scan incremental run. I've followed multiple things saying to restart the service, reboot the hosts etc.. And none of that worked. I haven't opened a case because I have a feeling I will have to redo the backup anyway, regardless if it can be fixed or not.

But, the thing I'm wondering is, if I create a new backup job, and map to the old backup, will it do an incremental backup OR will it do a full backup?

Also If I do create a new backup and map it to the backup in the repository and set a retention policy, will it remove backups from the previous job so there's not data just taking up space?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Question on "remapping backup"

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Nate and welcome to the forums!
-Nate- wrote:if I create a new backup job, and map to the old backup, will it do an incremental backup OR will it do a full backup?
Incremental. One of main features of mapping is to avoid Full backup.
-Nate- wrote:If I do create a new backup and map it to the backup in the repository and set a retention policy, will it remove backups from the previous job so there's not data just taking up space?
If you map the existing chain to a new backup job, its(job`s) rules will apply to the chain. The restore points will be deleted after the first run of the new job.
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

To elaborate on this - you will transfer changed blocks only, however full re-scan will be still performed in order to detect changed blocks. The error you have relates to source VMs and not to the backup job, so I'm not sure that creating a new job will help.
-Nate-
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nate Christensen

Post by -Nate- »

Awesome, thanks for the quick replies!

I guess since its a little more of a problem than I thought, I'll open up a ticket. Thanks again for the help guys, appreciate it!