Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nmace
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

SQL Server Restores?

Post by nmace »

I'm following the steps outlined in this blog post:

http://www.veeam.com/blog/how-to-restor ... abase.html

And what I'm seeing in the Veeam SQL Explorer isn't matching. I'm good to go up until I pick the restore point and then the blog post shows the option to pick the most recent restore point or a slider to restore to a specific transaction log. I don't see that at all. I get the "Standard" Veeam restore screen where there is the list of backup points. Why is mine different? Is the blog post version 9 and I'm running version 8? I am doing application aware processing, etc on the backup jobs. I am not sure what the difference could be other than maybe the blog post is version 9. Anyone have any other ideas?
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: SQL Server Restores?

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I am going to say it might be v9. I checked my v8 update 2 and I do not have those sliders or screens as well. Might be a little preview!

Cheers!
VMCE v9
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

This is v8 for sure, as v9 is not available even internally yet. If you don't have these controls available, this means you're simply not performing transaction log backups, which are required for point in time recovery. Without transaction log backup enabled, you can only perform the restore to a database state of an image-level backup. Thanks!
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I double checked the SQL backup, and it was set to Truncate Logs. if I changed it to Backup Logs Periodically that would give the option with the slider to choose a point in time?
VMCE v9
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Correct, the transaction log backup is what gives you point in time restore capabilities.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1