Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
tym
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tim Diekhans

veb footprint - ok for older clients

Post by tym »

Hi,

I am considering to backup older (4-5 years old) laptops. Now I learned that veb installs an sql server instance on the client, and I am wondering if this renders older computers unusable?
Are there any plans to split veb to client/server parts, where you have one veb server and the clients just run a small agent?

best,
Tim
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: veb footprint - ok for older clients

Post by PTide »

Hi,
if this renders older computers unusable?
That depends on how old your computer is. Please refer to the system requirements page
Are there any plans to split veb to client/server parts, where you have one veb server and the clients just run a small agent?
May I ask you what, in you opinion, would be the benefit of such separation? The SQL used by VEB is very lightweight. On the other hand, with client-server approach if your server machine is unavailable then your agent will simply stop working.

Thank you.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There are existing topics on the last question, please check them out > Feature Request: Centeral SQL Server and Feature Request: Portable Edition/XML storage instead of SQL
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

tym,
P.S. If I were you I would jump the gun and test if the VEB is suitable for old workstations: Endpoint is free and installation is pretty simple, so eventually it is very easy to test and the only thing to keep in mind is the OS requirements.
tym
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tim Diekhans

Post by tym » 1 person likes this post

thanks to all of you - dima, will definitely give it a try. the benefits of an (optional) client/server structure seem to be well discussed in those threads you pointed me to. so no need to warm them up another time. I just think the footprint on the client should be as small as possible..